Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I return to Win 7 from the Win 10 uninvited update?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:08 PM

SORRY WRONG CATEGORY - REQUESTING HELP TO RESTORE WIN 7 from WIN 10 on HP desktop.

Hi y'all :-)  Can't believe how often I get ripped off. I took my nice XP HP to a shop, they said they could add a Win 7 drive.  Then they called with some razzle dazzle, and sold me a refurbished PC with Win 7 & no boot disk.  When I saw the thing, it was a small box with only one disk drive.  They wrecked my PC taking out the hard disk, and stuck me with this thing.  Not even a OS disk.  It has 4 gigs of RAM but cannot be used because it is a 32-bit machine.  The bios are 10 years old I think AARRGH... I could have had a brand new monitor and keyboard and mouse for what they charged me.  When I asked them to wipe the drive and restore Win 7, they wanted $100 !!!  THIEVES !!!

Now that I see Lawrence's post about making XP work on a Win 7 PC, I really want 7 back.  I am not doing well learning Win 10.  It has no saving graces and makes me feel stupid.  I tried to describe this machine on my Bleeping profile, but there are quite a few blanks on the Device Manager.  Including this View Sonic monitor that gives such a great picture, but has no drivers?  Am getting a "Resolution Notice" again, solved in a previous problem when my video card was dying on the HP.  

Not to mention that I got fooled into letting the bad guys on my machine with the popup that said "Call Microsoft" and a screaming siren... Windows 10, so I had no idea how to turn it off.  I guess I could have muted the sound button, but couldn't see it on the older monitor I was using at the time.  Still using my E machine with XP SP2 as a typewriter... my old printer doesn't plug into the new/old machine.  Had been using a thumb drive, and then the ink scam came (seller removed the chip from the new OEM ink cartridge to make it unrecognizeable to the Canon BJC-250 that is still humming except for the ink scam. Guess what he is selling printers, but I didn't buy from that thief. Score 1 for me, about 100 for the bad guys.)

I've copied down all the files i backed up from my phone, so no problem there.  But the thieves didn't turn on the backup/restore point setting for me, and I didn't find it until after the Win 10 update happened within 10 days of getting the new/old machine.  I had put a stop/review on the updates, but Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom...  I responded to their survey that I HATED it!  No response.  

Love you guys.  Hope you are getting the funds you need for court... 

Edited by JoanneMT, 27 October 2016 - 08:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

First thing.  You invited the update to Windows 10.  MS does not upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 without your permission.  You probably neglected to read the update notice, and did NOT follow the directions to decline the update.  It is actually quite simple.  My wife declined the upgrade over one year ago, and was NEVER asked again.  Second thing.  WTF are you doing with an XP machine expecting to run Windows 7 or 10 on it.  Throw the thing away, and get a real PC.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:39 PM

...WTF are you doing with an XP machine expecting to run Windows 7 or 10 on it.  Throw the thing away, and get a real PC.

"Then they called with some razzle dazzle, and sold me a refurbished PC with Win 7 & no boot disk.  When I saw the thing, it was a small box with only one disk drive."  -- Joanne

She was snookered into purchasing that box.  I don't believe she wanted to get rid of XP at first.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 October 2016 - 02:50 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

At this juncture my advice would still be to look for a replacement machine that comes with Windows 7.  They are still available, both NOS and refurbished, and in the end will cost you far less money than trying to get what appears to be a non-functional machine with lots of potential problems into fully functional mode again.

If you have backup copies of your data files and the necessary license keys to download and install your paid software (or still have optical media and keys) it is far less expensive and far less frustrating to go the replacement route.

All of the above being said, staying with Windows 7 at this point, if you intend to continue with Windows into the foreseeable future, is really just living on borrowed time.  There are lots of inexpensive machines that come new with Windows 10 that are more than sufficient for most users who aren't doing computing that requires high processing power (e.g. realtime multi-player gaming, 3D modeling with the need for rotation, or the like).   Virtually anything above a netbook (and even some netbooks) have far more processing power than the top of the line XP machine did way back when and more than many Win7-when-new machines had.  If you really don't need the bells and whistles for what you actually use a machine for then your options for a less expensive replacement machine get wide open.

Windows 10 is here to stay, and if you're staying with Windows it's worth the effort to learn it now while large groups of people are still in the same situation that you are as far as learning Windows 10.

Edited by britechguy, 28 October 2016 - 01:08 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

"...Windows 10 is here to stay,.."  and so is my MS true-blue 64-bit Windows 7 Professional on my three computers  :)

Like the thread starter, Windows 7 it is, for now.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

SORRY WRONG CATEGORY - REQUESTING HELP TO RESTORE WIN 7 from WIN 10 on HP desktop.

Hi y'all :-)  Can't believe how often I get ripped off. I took my nice XP HP to a shop, they said they could add a Win 7 drive.  Then they called with some razzle dazzle, and sold me a refurbished PC with Win 7 & no boot disk.  When I saw the thing, it was a small box with only one disk drive.  They wrecked my PC taking out the hard disk, and stuck me with this thing.  Not even a OS disk.  It has 4 gigs of RAM but cannot be used because it is a 32-bit machine.  The bios are 10 years old I think AARRGH... I could have had a brand new monitor and keyboard and mouse for what they charged me.  When I asked them to wipe the drive and restore Win 7, they wanted $100 !!!  THIEVES !!!

Now that I see Lawrence's post about making XP work on a Win 7 PC, I really want 7 back.  I am not doing well learning Win 10.  It has no saving graces and makes me feel stupid.  I tried to describe this machine on my Bleeping profile, but there are quite a few blanks on the Device Manager.  Including this View Sonic monitor that gives such a great picture, but has no drivers?  Am getting a "Resolution Notice" again, solved in a previous problem when my video card was dying on the HP.  

Not to mention that I got fooled into letting the bad guys on my machine with the popup that said "Call Microsoft" and a screaming siren... Windows 10, so I had no idea how to turn it off.  I guess I could have muted the sound button, but couldn't see it on the older monitor I was using at the time.  Still using my E machine with XP SP2 as a typewriter... my old printer doesn't plug into the new/old machine.  Had been using a thumb drive, and then the ink scam came (seller removed the chip from the new OEM ink cartridge to make it unrecognizeable to the Canon BJC-250 that is still humming except for the ink scam. Guess what he is selling printers, but I didn't buy from that thief. Score 1 for me, about 100 for the bad guys.)

I've copied down all the files i backed up from my phone, so no problem there.  But the thieves didn't turn on the backup/restore point setting for me, and I didn't find it until after the Win 10 update happened within 10 days of getting the new/old machine.  I had put a stop/review on the updates, but Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom...  I responded to their survey that I HATED it!  No response.  

Love you guys.  Hope you are getting the funds you need for court... 

You're probably infected with malware because there are no sirens and "call Microsoft" pop ups on a genuine Windows 10 installation.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:18 AM

First thing.  You invited the update to Windows 10.  MS does not upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 without your permission.  You probably neglected to read the update notice, and did NOT follow the directions to decline the update.  It is actually quite simple.  My wife declined the upgrade over one year ago, and was NEVER asked again.  Second thing.  WTF are you doing with an XP machine expecting to run Windows 7 or 10 on it.  Throw the thing away, and get a real PC.

Guess you missed all the publicity about MS cramming the Win10 option down your throat by default several months back?

It would sure seem you did miss it, indeed. Perhaps you neglected to read the WIn10 related news, and it's directions/caution/advisories? :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:20 AM

Guess you missed all the publicity about MS cramming the Win10 option down your throat by default several months back?

It would sure seem you did miss it, indeed. Perhaps you neglected to read the WIn10 related news, and it's directions/caution/advisories? :)

Perhaps you missed how to read notifications about software downloads, and how to accept or reject them.  The only way to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was to accept the download.  There were obvious instructions on how to postpone the update or to stay with Windows 7.  In the end people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Edited by dhjohns, 29 October 2016 - 08:20 AM.

#9 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:32 PM

RolandJS - thank you for your compassion and understanding. There is a Win 7 sticker on the case.
I can't read it right now, but if it is a product key, is it possible to wipe the drive and then get Win 7? That shop needs a BBB complaint and a kick in the butt, but I think I'd need an OS disk. Is there a utility to Identify the components, and a folder w the drivers?

I can do without the insults from the rest of you.

#10 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:44 AM

RolandJS - thank you for your compassion and understanding. There is a Win 7 sticker on the case.
I can't read it right now, but if it is a product key, is it possible to wipe the drive and then get Win 7? That shop needs a BBB complaint and a kick in the butt, but I think I'd need an OS disk. Is there a utility to Identify the components, and a folder w the drivers?

Basically mate all you need to do is get a copy or download the ISO from microsoft of windows 7 (Check what version is says on the desktop sticker), then you should be able to right click the ISO and hit the Burn to Disk (Or download cdburnerxppro to burn iso to disk).

Then when the PC starts, either hit F12 or F10 depending on what bios you have and boot in to the CDROM.

Simply follow the install steps (real easy) and next thing you know its installing windows.

Just make sure you copy any files before hand but by the sounds of it there is nothing you need, you just want win7 back?

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

What insults? I just reread this whole thread and there is nothing but good advice.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

[not needed]

Edited by RolandJS, 31 October 2016 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users