Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor on the fritz

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

My monitor decided to begin to turn on and off randomly, and open the Main menu on it and scroll through the options in a loop. Completely shutting off the monitor stops it for about 45 minutes, and it begins and gets progressively worse until rebooted. I recently spilled a very small amount of water on it, but none got anywhere near the inside of the buttons. Any help? (Everything else works fine though)

Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hJzi8GmvsYg

Edited by Ant_Teh_Nee, 27 October 2016 - 07:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:04 AM

Maybe water did get in ?

I would strip it down , check the Button Panel for any corrosion or sticky buttons and use Electrical Contact Cleaner.

Also check Capacitors while you have it apart for any Bulges on ends / and replace if required.

If your not confortable stripping it down , maybe a proffesional is required.

I replaced 6 Capacitors on my my Samsung Monitor and with patience and soldering new in place ,  worked fine { Like New }.

#3 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:30 AM

The weird thing is that there are no screws on the back. It appears and though the parts were glued together. It's a newer monitor, so I was expecting that. I decided to do a factory reset of the monitor and cleaned up the area around the buttons from dust. I also heard mashing the buttons helps, so I did that too. Afterward, I left it in similar conditions for an hour. Nothing spazzed! The problem seems to have resolved for now. I'm guessing dust was on the circuit board, and the water may have added to the issue. Dusting it off may have helped clean the contact enough to fix the issue, at least for a little while.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:44 PM

Monitors vary in how to disassemble , screws , or internal clips on screen etc.

You can if problem persists later , just google the Model / Type for a Video Howto dissassemble it.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

Knowing what the monitor is can help, both for disassembly and characteristic faults. Older Philips and Samsung monitors had problems with leaky control PCBs, and it has been fairly common with Toshiba LCD TVs. But overall it's quite likely that moisture did get onto the PCB and eventually evaporated away. Besides a spill, a common source is cleaning the screen with too damp a cloth, or a spray, especially when the buttons are under the screen and the moisture seeps downward.

Most modern monitor casings clip together, and to dismantle you have to unsnap the internal securing fingers by protecting the LCD screen surface with soft material and using your fingernails to pull and rotate the front of the plastic surround outward from the screen.

Edited by Platypus, 28 October 2016 - 06:36 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

I see. My monitor buttons are under the monitor, so your idea is probably right. I'll take a look into it. By the way it's an HP LED monitor (22cwa) Thanks for the help!

#7 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

Knowing what the monitor is can help, both for disassembly and characteristic faults. Older Philips and Samsung monitors had problems with leaky control PCBs, and it has been fairly common with Toshiba LCD TVs. But overall it's quite likely that moisture did get onto the PCB and eventually evaporated away. Besides a spill, a common source is cleaning the screen with too damp a cloth, or a spray, especially when the buttons are under the screen and the moisture seeps downward.

Most modern monitor casings clip together, and to dismantle you have to unsnap the internal securing fingers by protecting the LCD screen surface with soft material and using your fingernails to pull and rotate the front of the plastic surround outward from the screen.

Oh god, it's back! This time, it's putting my brightness to 0. Any button presses take no response. I think i'm going to call HP and send it in, as it's under warranty. In the meantime, my spare monitor is an Asus All-In-One that apperantly can be used as a monitor. Any assistance on getting that to work? All help is appreciated. (I can barely type with this prompt in the way right now ;-; 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users