Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADWARE REMOVAL TOOL

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LoneGeek

LoneGeek

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:44 PM

Have you all ever used this tool, or is it some type of crapware?

http://www.adwareremovaltool.org/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

Adware Removal Tool is an adware cleaning tool created by TechSupportAll that is designed to detect and remove unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and their related registry entries. From my experience, I have found the tool to be ineffective, prone to false positives and can make a mess of your browser settings/user profiles so it is not one I would recommend others to use.

adware-removal-tool-300x300.png

TechSupportAll also provides various malware removal guides and hosts download links for many well known (and some questionable) scanning tools on their TechSupportAll Tools page. Several of the download links go directly to the developer's site (including bleepingcomputer.com). Other tools hosted by this site are older and no longer supported by their developers. Some may even be unauthorized versions so I would be skeptical of using those download links.

We do not know any of the TechSupportAll team members or their background. In contrast...most of the well known specialized tools we use as malware fighters are written by experts/Security Colleagues at various security forums like Bleeping Computer, TechSupport, GeeksToGo, SypwareInfo and other similar sites so they can be trusted...this includes any program hosted by BC for download.

The following note is typically included at other sites which advertise for TechSupportAll:

For Support:- Please contact us for any additional help at our official email addressinfo@techsupportall.com, we are happy to assist you.

While the offer may be legitimate, again we do not know the people who would be providing any such support so again I would be skeptical of asking for help.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

That software looks A LOT like AdwCleaner. There have been unauthorized copies before...

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:57 PM

That software looks A LOT like AdwCleaner. There have been unauthorized copies before...

It has been around for a while and it's not the same tool as AdwCleaner.

#5 LoneGeek

LoneGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

It has been around for a while and it's not the same tool as AdwCleaner.

WOT shows it as red is why I was asking

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/techsupportall.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=rw-viewsc

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,991 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

What I find particularly interesting is that their websites are all registered to people living in India...

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 LoneGeek

LoneGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

VT shows it as clean but I am still not sure if I'd use it, maybe one of you could test it in a VM?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee WebAdvisor (formerly SiteAdvisor), WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Symantec WS.Reputation.1, Webutation, avast! Online Security Plugin (formerly WebRep), etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs available on web sites which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide. Further, for the novice user, rating sites can provide a a false sense of security.

VirusTotal analysis of Adware_Removal_Tool_by_TSA.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users