Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot. May Be a Virus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:23 PM

I recently lent my laptop to my son, who returned it in the following condition (It's an Asus laptop with Windows 8.1):

When I press the power button I immediately get a screen that says: 'Apt 10 Setup Utility - Copyright © 2013 American Megatrends, Inc' across the top of a gray screen with tabs for Main, Advanced, Boot, Security, Save and Exit'. It lists BIOS Info, Processor Info, etc. I can toggle to various tabs and various options on the page, including options to exit, but hitting the Enter button does nothing. There is apparently no way out. I can't boot it to get it into safe mode. It goes directly from power off to this screen when I power up. Anyone familiar with this screen?

Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

See if powercycling the computer helps. Pull the main battery and detach the power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and main battery. Reboot. 

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

Ok. I'll try it. It's an Asus so it won't be easy. Have to remove the bottom plate. Have to get a Phillips screwdriver. Of course they couldn't make it easy, like for my old Sony Vaio: Just pop it out from the bottom. I'll get back to you when I get it done. Thanks.

#4 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

I should mention that there was a typo in the original question: I typed Apt 10. It should have been 'Aptio Setup Utility'. Sorry.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

I googled Aptio and it seems other people also get stuck in this utility so I doubt this is virus related. 

You may find a solution looking through these threads.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2834673/stuck-aptio-setup-utility.html

Edit: Is your hard drive detected in the Aptio utility?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 October 2016 - 04:29 PM.

#6 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

Here's my problem:

"I have an Asus Notebook X501A and it has just happened to me; I am running Windows 8.1 and I have done nothing at all that may have caused this.

Here's what I did that was succesful:

1/ Select the Boot menu in the Aptio setup utility, select 'Launch CSM' and change to enable
2/ Select the Security menu n the Aptio setup utility, select 'secure Boot Control' and change to disable
3/ Select Save & Exit and press 'yes'
4/ Hold down the power button until the unit switches power off completely
5/ Switch back on and continually press the F9 button for about ten seconds; this should now allow the unit to boot up into the Windows Recovery menu
6/ Select 'Advanced Start Up' and wait until the recovery menu appears
7/ Select ' Advanced Options'
8/ Select 'System Restore' and select a date prior to when the problem occured

System Restore worked perfectly for me; good luck"

When I tried to apply these instructions I found the sequence to be backwards. When I tried to 'Launch CSM', it said I must change the 'Secure Boot Control' to disable first before launching the CSM. Then, when I went to the Security tab to change the 'Secure Boot Control' to disable, there was no such option.

I ran 'Aptio....' through Google search and found the same solution you presented, but in a different article. Still at a dead end. I found the "remove the battery" option also in the same article.

If anyone has Asus related experience with this problem and have managed to disable the Secure Boot Control after not finding the option to do it under the Security tab, please let me know how you did it.: please tell me how to disable the 'Secure Boot Control'. Thanks.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:05 PM

On some computers it is necessary to provide a password in the BIOS settings in order for SecureBoot to be disabled. Set your Administrator Password and User Password and see if you can disable secureboot. 

#8 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:15 PM

I've already tried that. Under the Security tab, it says: "Administrator Password   Not Installed" and "User Password   Not Installed". When I try to enter the administrator password, it doesn't recognize it. I can't access the Not Installed option either. The cursor won't go there. Thanks anyway.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

I think your best option now is to pull the battery and if you can, the CMOS battery too then do a powercycle hoping it will set the Utility back to default.

#10 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

What is the CMOS battery and where may I find that? Thanks for your response and your time, by the way. It's appreciated.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

The CMOS battery is a small battery hopefully one that is easy to pull. It's usually a CR2032 on a desktop. On a laptop it can be a small battery attached to the motherboard via a wired connector. 

On older computers it was easy to get to but looking at the video it looks like a nightmare. You can see your yellow CMOS battery at about 7:31

Edit: Powercycling the computer does not seem feasible on this model laptop as you have to pull everything including your power switch to get to the battery. Edit Edit: Pulling the CMOS battery and letting the computer sit overnight should reset the BIOS settings.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 October 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#12 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

I have a question: Is it feasible to somehow discharge the battery long enough to assure that it's drained and then trying to start it by holding the power button to discharge whatever remains, in lieu of removing it?  I've got it running now with the Aptio screen showing and the charger disconnected, draining the battery.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

I have a question: Is it feasible to somehow discharge the battery long enough to assure that it's drained and then trying to start it by holding the power button to discharge whatever remains, in lieu of removing it?  I've got it running now with the Aptio screen showing and the charger disconnected, draining the battery.

Not that I know of. On desktops there is a jumper that can be used to reset the BIOS but for a laptop the CMOS battery needs to be removed to clear the settings. Is the power cable attached so you can press the power button after removing the CMOS battery? If the power cable is not connected then you need to let the laptop set for awhile while the CMOS battery is removed. You also need to detach your main battery.

#14 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Ok. Thanks. I may feel more comfortable turning it over to PCW and let the technicians there figure it out. It's a secondary laptop, tied into my tv and used pretty much exclusively for streaming video. I think it would cost less than $100 to avoid the aggravation.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:54 PM

Good Luck. Please post back an update if possible. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users