Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive HGST Travelstar 7K1000 missing on my Lenovo W541 Thinkpad

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 venexiano

venexiano

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:53 AM

Dear all,

I bought 1 year and half this hard drive https://www.amazon.com/gp/your-account/order-history?opt=ab&digitalOrders=1&unifiedOrders=1&returnTo=&orderFilter=year- and I mounted it with a proper caddy instead of the DVD slot. Today suddenly that drive (the D: drive) disappeared from internet explorer (I run windows 7), it was working perfectly until yesterday. Under computer management it says " You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it" . whats could it be? I was  thinking that maybe the contacts are loose? But in that case can  computer management display " You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it" ? shouldnt it not see completely the drive instead? 

thanks a lot 

V.

Edited by venexiano, 27 October 2016 - 08:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

Have you tried a different USB port?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 venexiano

venexiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for the answer but its an internal hard drive, i wrote i put it inside the dvd slot, and I am writing in the internal hardware forum :)

Edited by venexiano, 27 October 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:22 AM

If you have it in a Caddy , try connecting it directly to the Motherboard.

Also assign a drive letter if it doesnt have one.

Initilizing the Disk can lead to Data Loss in some cases , so if your Drive is not backed up elsewhere externally , wait for a response from dc3 to guide you further.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:23 AM

Do you have two hdds with Windows installed on each one?

How did you install Windows 7 on the hdd in the caddy?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 venexiano

venexiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

Ok today I bought a SATA to USB cable, I removed the HDD from the caddy and used the HDD with the SATA cable. It worked all day like a charm. I copied all my sensitive data and I worked all day with no problem. Plugged SATA cable back and forth a few times and no problem. Then I reput it back in the caddy and it was not read. Then I did the following experiments:

1) A friend lent me a similar HDD of the same brand, which was read correctly with the SATA cable, but once in my caddy it was not read.

2) Then my friend lent me a brand new caddy, i put his HDD inside his caddy and it was not read.

3) Then I put back my hard drive in my caddy and MAGICALLY it was read. 

Basically a random behavior. I forgot to mention that yesterday I heard a weird loud sound coming out of my laptop (like GRRRRR) and then blue screen of death.  At reboot my hard drive was gone. Maybe that noise meant that my caddy crashed somehow, but why would it work sometimes and why also is not working inside my friend's new caddy? Maybe that noise meant that something happened in my laptop instead? is that possible? Any suggestion on what should I do? For now I just use a SATA cable but I d like to have  a working HDD back in the caddy of the laptop.
As for connecting it to the motherboard...is it possible? Any tutorial on how to do it?

thanks
V.

Edited by venexiano, 28 October 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

The caddy could have been faulty from the factory.  I would take it back and exchange it for a new one.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

Inspect the contacts on the caddy/drive, intermittent issues many times go back to very simple things.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users