Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW TO GET ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSION TO DELETE ONEDRIVE FILE

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:14 AM

This is REALLY Ticking me off.  

There is only one account on this computer and it is set to administrator yet when I try to delete a file that contains original photos (that have been revised) I get the ANNOYING MESSAGE THAT " YOU'LL NEED TO PROVIDE ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSION TO DELETE THIS FILE"

The 64 million dollar question HOW do I get this permission to delete a file on my own d@mn computer???

Your assistance appreciated because I'm afraid that grinding my teeth  :grinner:  for days is going to cause permanent damage  I can't afford since I no longer have dental coverage (can't afford that either) :nono:

Edited by JayJax, 27 October 2016 - 01:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:40 AM

I was hoping you will give me 64 million dollar if i manage to resolve your issue :whistle: any how i will try my best to resolve your issue for free as i have always been doing.

Delete or restore files and folders in OneDrive

Posted Image

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

I was hoping you will give me 64 million dollar if i manage to resolve your issue :whistle: any how i will try my best to resolve your issue for free as i have always been doing.

Delete or restore files and folders in OneDrive

The URL only takes me to this forum discussion on this site?  

Meanwhile I thought I had happened on a (for me) genius idea to effect a cure, i.e.  to move the file from One Drive to my desktop.  My thinking was that if I can move files into OneDrive I should also be able to take them out.   I am happy to say that I was able to accomplish that.   My optimism was short-lived, however, as when I again sought to delete the folder I found that the tyrant inside my computer was still as unreasonable as ever.   NO ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGE, NO DELETE.   It occurs to me that maybe the mafia might be making a comeback; Sammy the Bull lives?    If so my next question is "Will they be back to break my kneecaps?"   What to do????   My bank account, sadly, is bordering on ZERO so as an alternative I would  give you my firstborn son except i cannot tell a lie, I have no money and no son.    I guess my one recourse is to "BEG, PLEAD for your sympathy   :bowdown:    - I don't mind coz you mean that much to me".   Hmmmm I think maybe I'm channeling THE TEMPTATIONS?  Anyway its true  -  I ain't too proud to beg!   :mellow: Please note:  in my version the lyrics end before getting to the "sweet darlin" part.   :whistle: 

Edited by JayJax, 28 October 2016 - 06:23 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

There is a discussion about this here that you hopefully will find helpful.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:59 PM

My bad below is the link i was trying to point you to.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Delete-or-restore-files-and-folders-in-OneDrive-949ada80-0026-4db3-a953-c99083e6a84f

Posted Image

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the link - I went to the OneDrive Website as directed.   The instructions say the top of the page should have the following options: DOWNLOAD, DELETE, MOVE-TO, and COPY but all I have at the Top is either NEW or UPLOAD.

Maybe I should add the name of the file I want to delete is PicasaOriginals - does that make a difference.   I think I remember seeing something about that Google was phasing out Picasa?  If I recall Picasa is not a downloaded program on my computer?      Will the fact that the file contains Picasa images - the ones that are saved as original when you edit an image?

Edited by JayJax, 30 October 2016 - 08:07 PM.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:55 PM

Thanks - I followed the recommendation to download "Take Ownership" but when i tried to open it (a zip file) it opened as an image which shows to be INVALID.    What program works for zip files - I don't recall having to choose one before, not something I use frequently so I'm not having any luck?   I see programs to download to open zip files on the site link however they all seem to say that it may contain 3rd party offers which I try to avoid because I always seem to end up with extra UNWANTED STUFF?

When I use the URL referenced at the above link to use Take Ownership I get this message (and now I'm more confused than ever because I'm not using Windows XP, I have Windows 8.1):  

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Support for Windows XP has ended

Microsoft ended support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014. This change has affected your software updates and security options. Learn what this means for you and how to stay protecte

Edited by JayJax, 30 October 2016 - 08:23 PM.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:29 PM

You can download or create your own Take Ownership registry file from "Taking Ownership Of System Files Or Folders"   link.

Windows can unzip zip archives so is 7-Zip program which is free program.

Edited by FreeBooter, 30 October 2016 - 10:30 PM.

Posted Image

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:14 PM

Thanks - I followed the recommendation to download "Take Ownership" but when i tried to open it (a zip file) it opened as an image which shows to be INVALID

Strange....I just now downloaded it from Afterdawn (the link) and opened it with 7-Zip with no problem. Here is the link, try it again.

http://www.afterdawn.com/general/newsletter_subscribe.cfm?version_id=45606

Edited by ranchhand_, 31 October 2016 - 09:45 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

Thanks - I followed the recommendation to download "Take Ownership" but when i tried to open it (a zip file) it opened as an image which shows to be INVALID

Strange....I just now downloaded it from Afterdawn (the link) and opened it with 7-Zip with no problem. Here is the link, try it again.

http://www.afterdawn.com/general/newsletter_subscribe.cfm?version_id=45606

I don't know why it keeps opening as an invalid image

I don't want to keep hassling people with it when everyone else has been successful it must be me.   Guess I will just leave the files where they are. 

Thanks for the advice anyway I appreciate the website have gotten a lot of help over the years..

Edited by JayJax, 02 November 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:16 PM

On a similar note - I just downloaded 7-Zip onto my computer and installed it and then tried to use it to open the Take Ownership and it wasn't listed on the programs available to open the file

How do I make 7-Zip my default program.

I found the file menu in 7-Zip but that doesn't seem to work if I select File Open it doesn't give me anyway to select the file I want to open.

Is it just me - it seems I whatever my original problem is I run into other issues trying to deal with the first issue.

Sigh or EXPLETIVE  not deleted?

Edited by JayJax, 02 November 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:15 AM

If you right-click on the zip file from After Dawn and select properties does it then offer you the option to select what it opens with?

Have a read here

http://www.bitser.org/restore-zip-file-association-to-windows-default.shtm

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

After you have installed 7-Zip, Right click on the zip file, in the menu will be "7-Zip", hover the mouse over it and a fly-out menu will appear, choose "Extract Here" and the uncompressed file will appear.

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:12 AM

okay this is too frustrating - I surrender let the files stay wherever they are I have lost track anyway as I moved them off one-drive

I think one-drive should advise users that once they upload these files they surrender ownership as they have no control over them.

Anyway I appreciate the efforts to help but due to other things of a frustrating nature that are not optional I guess I will focus on those and say the heck with one-drive.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

Visit below link to login to OneDrive website to manage your uploaded files.

https://onedrive.live.com

Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users