Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely High CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ModifiedMonkee

ModifiedMonkee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:05 PM

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 @ 3.40GHz 

8 GB of RAM and 8 GB of VRAM

Running Windows 10 64 bit

I was editing a video using the program VideoPad by NCH Software. I noticed the program was being ridiculously slow. I checked the CPU usage and it was at 99%. This program has never given me any problems in the past and I've been using it for over a year. I did restart my computer and the program still gave very high CPU usage. When the program is sitting idle, the CPU usage is down to 0%, but right when I hit play on the video I'm editing or try to do anything, almost immediately, the CPU usage jumps as high as 99%. Just maybe wondering if you all have any suggestions on how to resolve this, or if my PC is just outdated now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

Does this only occur when running the editing software?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ModifiedMonkee

ModifiedMonkee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

Does this only occur when running the editing software?

Yes, but the only other thing I do on my computer is stream videos and other simple tasks. 

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:40 PM

Hi, ModifiedMonkee.

Unfortunately, NCH Software is notorious for demonstrating this kind of usage of your hardware resources. They're also well-known for installing stuff on your machine that you definitely didn't ask for.....and they don't tell you they're doing it, either..! Nothing in their installers to alert you to it, y'see; you think you're installing a single app, and you end up with an entire suite..!

Their stuff's also really, really awkward to uninstall, requiring special steps to be taken in order to do so... It's not far off being malware, TBH.

This article from MakeUseOf may help you better understand what their stuff is like.....they've been at this game for some years:-

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whats-problem-nch-software-remove/

Hope that helps. There's nearly 100 comments on just this one article..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 27 October 2016 - 03:00 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

Agree with comments made by Mike about NCH...I took it for granted that some things are well-known by users when downloading software from certain websites/develop-ers.

Louis

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

Unfortunately, Louis, not everybody's been 'around the block' perhaps as many times as 'old-timers' like you and I..!  :lol:

What nobody tells you is that NCH build modifiers into the 'paid-for' premium versions, which, after x number of days after first installation, switch the premium features off, and reset the version number, essentially leaving you with nothing better than a trial version.....at which point, a 'pop-up' helpfully appears, advising you that the 'new' version will solve your problems, and inviting you to download.....after paying for it again.

It's nothing short of daylight robbery.....and the guys at NCH obviously see everybody out there as a rube, ripe for the picking.

Trouble is, their stuff is littered across dozens of the 'free-ware' sites, and is made to sound very inviting. And the biggest shame is, it is good stuff.....why they have to resort to tactics like this, rather than letting a good product speak for itself, I don't know!

I sorta got 'caught' by this a few years ago. I only downloaded the trial version (which did what I wanted at the time).....but even that was long enough to change all my file-type associations to ones that only further NCH software would open. I deleted XP, and re-installed.....it was due for re-install anyway. That sorted it.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 27 October 2016 - 06:35 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users