Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Left-clicking mouse sometimes IMMEDIATELY shuts down computer...Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hello, everyone!...

I’ve been experiencing a very strange problem.

I can be working on my computer for a few minutes or a few hours, and then when I left-click my mouse to open a file, or to save a game, or to do just about anything, my computer immediately turns itself off…by which I mean it completely shuts down, and I must turn off the main power supply switch, wait 20 minutes or more, turn the switch back on, and then turn on my front-panel power-on button to restart my computer.

This problem is happening more and more frequently and is starting to cost me a lot of time…and I’m simply clueless.

Does anybody have any idea why left-clicking a mouse to have a computer perform a task (like saving a file) would cause the computer to immediately shut down and power itself off?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Computer components:

- Dual-boot Windows XP Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 3) and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 1);

- Asus Motherboard P9X79-E WS;

- Intel i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz;

- Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler;

- 4 x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800);

- Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor 1TB SATA III 6Gb SSD;

- Crucial M550 1TB SSD;

- Crucial M500 480GB SSD;

- MSI RX480 8GB GDDR5 Gaming X Twin Frozr VI graphics card;

- SeaSonic X-1050 ( SS-1050XM2 ) 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready;

- Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case

- Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:19 AM

What happens if you plug in a wired mouse and use that?

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

A lot of times you buy a device the software it comes with are outdated. So be sure you are using the newer drivers.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/anywhere-mouse-mx#download

Anywhere Mouse MX

Detail:

• Software Version: 6.67.83
  • Post Date: 8-SEPT-2015
  • OS: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (or older), Windows 10
  • File Size:81 MB

#4 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for all the help, tips, and advice.

I ended up posting my question at several websites. In addition to the suggestion to try a wired mouse and install current drivers, I received several suggestions that I might have had a failing PSU. 

After a lot of time and thought, I decided to take the plunge and buy a new power supply so that I could verify whether or not my original one was faulty. After I put in the new power supply, my computer stopped crashing and everything has been running smoothly. So...it was a faulty power supply that was causing the problems. (I did try a wired mouse, but my computer continued to crash.)

Thanks, again, for your responses. All of them helped me figure out what was wrong.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users