Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Pavilion Dv4 No Bootable Device---insert Boot Disk And Press Any Key

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 floridamichael

floridamichael

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

When I turned this on this morning I got that message in the Title.

Trying to recover the data is the most important thing to me so I pulled the hard drive and using a Black-X USB device I plugged it into my desktop computer via USB. The computer knew that a Toshiba Hard drive was plugged in as it goes through it's install on the bottom right corner of the computer but it never assigned a Drive Letter.

So I went into Disk Management and it said I needed to initialize the drive which I did not do. I took the drive out of the Black X and using Sata Cable tried to direct connect to the MOBO of the desktop. 

BIOS sees the drive but now the drive is not even recognized under Disk Management.

Is there any way to get to the file structure of this drive so I can at least recover the data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

Having a drive shown as not-initialized is not good. You may be able to mount the drive using a live linux disk. I recommend burning an iso of Fatdog64. Boot the disk and attach your drive using the USB adapter. You should see a USB icon appear in the lower left next you your hard drive partitions labeled sda1...sda2...etc depending on how many partitions your hard drive has. Click once on the USB icon and hopefully the partition will mount. If it does a File Manager window will open showing your files. If you see your files then you can copy them from the external to the internal drive. Copying is a little different in Fatdog. If you see your files post back and I can give instructions on how to copy.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-702.iso

You can burn the iso to CD or DVD by right clicking on a Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image

#3 floridamichael

floridamichael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

Thank you very much for the help but unfortunately it did not work. The drive would not mount. I know the FatDog was doing what it was supposed to because when I tried a known good drive it mounted it right away.

Any other suggestions? The data is valuable. Can you recommend a reputable Data Recovery Service?

Thanks again!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:32 AM

DriveSavers is a good service but any professional data recovery service is expensive. You can get a free quote, The price could be anywhere from $800 and up.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

If the data is mission critical I would not try this as it could stress the drive further. You can scan the drive with a recovery program such as Easeus Data Recovery.  It will let you recover up to 2GB for free.  

Good Luck on your recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users