Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc-cillin Reports Virus But No Action

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reynald

reynald

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

Today PC-cillin is reporting a virus it found in a hosts file on my PC. It's supposed to attempt to clean it and then report whether cleaning was successful or unsuccessful. In the latter case, it's supposed to say whether it quarantined it or whether I need to do something manually. But there's just a blank after "Action:" in the virus warning box. It's not doing anything. I tried manually cleaning the file and once again it recognizes it as infected, but doesn't offer any action choices.
Anyone run into this with PC-cillin and know what the problem/remedy is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

What exactly was the info that PC-cillin reported?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 reynald

reynald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:01 PM

Real-time Scan
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security has detected a virus, spyware application, or other Internet threat, and performed the action specified.

Infected file: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS
Virus name: TROJ_Generic.Z
User name: [me]
Scan action result:
Note: If Search for and clean Trojans is enabled and is executed after scanning, you can click Next to view final scan result information.

Note that there's nothing after Scan action result, and the Next button is also grayed out. My settings tell PC-cillin to attempt to clean or quarantine every virus it finds, which it's always done before, but suddenly won't now. I'm still within my subscription period.

#4 reynald

reynald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

Bumping; would really like to solve this. I just upgraded to PC-Cillin 2006 but it's doing the same thing: finding the trojan but giving no action options. Very annoying.

#5 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

Hello reynald,

I dont use PC-Cillin, and never have so im not going to make out that i know the first thing about it. It does appear a little strange that it is not doing anything with this.

Im just throwing something out on a string here until someone who does use the software may give more advice to your problem. But if you have not done so already, please update and scan with ewido Anti-Spyware and delete anything it finds, then try running another scan with PC-Cillin and see what it brings up,if anything.

Ewido has a fantastic detection rate for all Spyware and trojans.

If you dont already have ewido installed on your PC you can download it from HERE.
It is a 30 day trial of the full version, but its still remains working after that period so do not delete it. The only difference is you will not longer get the real time protection it has, and it wont automatically update itself. However, you can still update it yourself though everytime you scan with it, it will become a vital part of your Malware prevention!
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#6 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

Hey ya'll,

I use PC Cillin 2006, and ran into this early on...
Try this...
Open Main Console
In 'Antivirus' tab, under 'File Types', make sure 'Search for and clean Trojans' box is ticked.
Also under 'Action', make sure 'Recommended Action' is ticked

Mine looks like this...

Posted Image

Hope this helps...it solved it for me..

#7 reynald

reynald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

Thanks graveangel & killmypc for your suggestions. I do have the "search for & clean trojans" box checked. I submitted my problem to Trend Micro support, who reviewed my virus logs and told me I should delete the hosts file and create another, which I did, so that takes care of the problem. This does not explain why PC-cillin is reporting no action when it finds this infected file -- it should be either quarantining it or instructing me to take action manually. But I'm glad to have the problem resolved.

#8 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

Well im glad its sorted to an extent. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting back with your solution too, it may help others experiencing similar problems.

Safe browsing
:flowers:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users