Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Teamviewer

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:49 PM

Hey guys and gals:  I was practicing Teamviewer for an upcoming project.  On the "Client" side where "TeamViewer QuickSupport" was downloaded to and run, there is still a Process Running even though it has long been shut down, is this normal?  

The process is "teamviewerd" and I see it in Conky under Processes of course. It's only taking up 0.34% CPU and 0.15% Memory.

Also, the regular Teamviewer was downloaded and installed but not used yet.

Thanks, pc

Edited by pcpunk, 26 October 2016 - 05:50 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

it is Normal, it keeps the service running for quicker connection. (Basically)

try:

sudo killall teamviewer

or

sudo service teamviewerd stop

either of those should stop it

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Viper, I assume it will start each boot unless something else is done?

Not really an issue just wanted to make sure it was working properly.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 825 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:58 PM

Ahh yeah, it's normal, and it will most likely start on boot unless you change it in "Startup Applications" but im not seeing my TV in there.

if you'd like you can map a keyboard shortcut to open your system monitor ( i used ctrl+shift+esc) makes for easier viewing of processes running.

Edited by Viper_Security, 26 October 2016 - 05:59 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:05 PM

I'll worry about that later Viper, right now if you have time, will you explain the basic function to set up for the Customer?  What I mean is, how do I set it to the Desktop so the customer can easily find it.  I see "teamviewer" and "teamviewer.desktop".  Seems to me I could just set "teamviewer" to the Desktop right?  And if so what is the "teamviewer.desktop" for?

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 825 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

don't quote me on it but i think the .desktop one is for ad-hoc assistance. (i may be wrong)

but sure!

if TV did not create a shortcut on the desktop then:

Locate where it was installed (im assuming your client uses windows?) c:/Program Files/Program Files x86

right click TeamViewer, select "Create shortcut" and it should automatically put it on the desktop.

If not it will be highlighted right after you select "Create Shortcut" in the window, then you just drag'n'drop it to the desktop.

If on linux let me know. 

Edited by Viper_Security, 26 October 2016 - 06:11 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

That will be of help also Viper because I'm still learning.  

My current client is using Linux, but yes, the others will be using Windows.  I was practicing on my Two Linux Boxes, downloaded it to Downloads and was running it from there.  I'll just try setting teamviewer to desktop, it's my box, although not the one I test on.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 825 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

Ah, once installed it should be under the "Internet" tab in the menu, then you should be able to right click it and "Add to Desktop"

or you can create a launcher and set the command to: /opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/script/teamviewer   

I used sudo dpkg -i "path to .deb file" rather than the package installer because in mint 18 and parrot it seems to not completely install.

hQBT2G3.png

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

Ah, once installed it should be under the "Internet" tab in the menu, then you should be able to right click it and "Add to Desktop"

I'm talking about "TeamViewer QuickSupport", I don't think it installs right?  

I was able to set to Desktop but it's not as pretty as I thought lol.  In Downloads I clicked on teamviewerqs and created the link with the whole Folder and set it to desktop.  Then that Folder needed to be opened again to click on teamviewer to activate it, may be different in Windows...at least I would think.  I could not do this with just the teamviewer Icon for some reason, or the teamviewer.desktop, it was needed to use the Parent Folder.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 825 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:03 PM

Ah the QuickSupport is mainly for cell phones (.apk) 

after i installed TeamViewer and right clicked the icon and set it to desktop it looks like it would on windows.(just the T.V icon)

hQBT2G3.png

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

I gotcha, that sheds some light on what I want to do.  I think best just to install "Teamviewer", and, think I will need to Download and install on Windows to see how hard it would be for older person.

I think TeamViewer QuickSupport" is just to make it easy on the Client as it don't need installing.  Just Download to Desktop, Unpack and launch, although may be more straight forward on Windows.  This is what I read in some of the directions and tried it on my Linux Boxes and it worked.  I see no where it is mainly for cell phones although didn't look all that hard.  I would say that is why it is right below the regular Teamviewer Download at this link.  I see now, the one you are talking about has "app" at the end of name.  It looks different to me, one for android and one samsung.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

Thanks for helping out Viper!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

I will need to Download and install on Windows to see how hard it would be for older person.

Its a Windows .exe, how hard can it be, You download it double click the exe and it installs itself, what you do have to be careful with is where you get it from and does it have any bundled 3rd party software included.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

I see now it's best just to download "Teamviewer" itself and not the  TeamViewer 'Quick Support'  I read this was the way to do it, and it's kinda nice in that it don't install, it's portable from what I understand.  I see now that Quick Support is customizable, you can put your Company name in it etc. pretty cool.  So perhaps that is the point to it.  I also am guessing in Windows it will have a Icon feature...I still haven't found on in Linux for it.  Portable may be better for weak machines also.

Edited by Al1000, 29 October 2016 - 01:16 PM.
remove reference to deleted post

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

Just as I thought, in Windows there is a nice little Icon for the App.  No tar.gz to Extract for the Client and guess at which file to open.  It's easy enough but a little easier in Windows.  Great App though because it don't need to be installed just to Connect with your Clients, Download>Click On>Click Run and Accept the agreement and your all set, quick and effective! 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

Hi punk, hi all.

Two of my brothers-in-law use TeamViewer, have for years and reckon it's good (this under a purely Windows environment).

However I had occasion to look into it and found they had been compromised June just passed, didn't know if any of the users here had opinions on it?

Search under "teamviewer compromised" and you will find the references.

First one on the list is http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06/teamviewer-says-theres-no-evidence-of-2fa-bypass-in-mass-account-hack/

It may be no worse than when eg Linux Mint was compromised, but thought it best to let you know if you were not aware of it, and in particular with the OP perhaps dealing with clients using purely Windows.

Cheers and avagudweegend.

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users