Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email iOS App Troubles

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fsa259

fsa259

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

I am at my wits end trying to find an optimal email management solution. I have followed instructions on several guides but still can't seem to get things working as I want them.

I have been trying to sort a personal domain email address as cheaply as possible. At the moment, I have bought a domain from 123-reg, forwarded it to a gmail inbox and emails receive fine when sent to my domain address. On my PC, I use Thunderbird and have configured the SMTP to my university's mail credentials to send email using my domain address. This works fine most of the time, unless the recipient is using a university linked Office 365 set up, in which case my university address shows in square brackets. I have learned to live with this.

The problem is trying to get that same set up on a half decent iOS app. I used to use the native mail client, but it was really space hungry and was soon getting up to the gigabytes. I am currently trying out Spark, which allows aliases, but does not seem to allow setting up an SMTP which is of a different domain to the IMAP. As a result, it has defaulted to the gmail SMTP and any email I send as my domain address still appears as sent from the gmail address.

Under the 'add another email address you own' settings in gmail, I have put my domain address, but to be designated as an alias it asks for the SMTP for my domain. I haven't paid for mailboxes with 123-reg, so I don't think I can make use of this.

Am I missing something simple or has my cheapness met its limit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users