Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The fans in my custom PC won't turn on but keyboard lights do

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mark64

Mark64

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

Hello, I have been having this problem for maybe a month now. My computer won't turn on when I press the power button but my keyboard turns on. None of the fans turn on inside or any lights inside. I have tried unplugging it, holding power button down for a few minutes, and turning it back on but that doesn't work. I have disconnected the cable that runs from the PSU to the motherboarb and stuck a paper clip in a green a lot and a black slot and I could hear/feel that the HDD was on when I did that and the CD player also worked. I say this has been happening for a month because usually it only happened when I went to sleep at night and went my PC went to sleep it would turn off and I would have to in plug it, wait all day, plug it back in and turn it on to work. Then I just turned the sleep option off so it wouldn't turn off over night but me, being stupid, turned it off the other day and now it won't turn back on and I waited with it unplugged since last night.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mark64

Mark64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

And if I missed anything that I have done or thought of I am sorry. Oh, and the only reason I haven't tried resetting the CMOS is because I don't have a screw driver and it's directly underneath my graphics card

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:24 AM

When you jumped out the green and black wires did the case fans run as well?

When you press the start button this shorts the two pins on the motherboard which in turn initiates the startup of the PSU.  There is a possibility that the start button is either not functioning properly or one of the leads has come loose.  You can take something like a screw driver and short the two header pins to see if the computer starts properly.  If it does, the problem is with the start button.  If this doesn't work then it's possible that the motherboard has a problem.  Did you build this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Mark64

Mark64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

I don't believe the case fan ran when I did that. And yes I did build it myself. So how do I dowhat you said?

#5 Mark64

Mark64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

Actually, that MAY be it but when my computer went to sleep at night and I tried to turn it on in the morning that what I said happens but I unplug it, wait all day, try it and it works.

#6 Mark64

Mark64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

Then when I DID manage to wake it up from waiting all day, all of my tabs and windows would still be open.

#7 Mark64

Mark64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

I just checked it again and the PSU fan DID run when I tried the paperclip in the PSU connector so it's not the PSU. How do I try turning it on without the power switch then?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

Then when I DID manage to wake it up from waiting all day, all of my tabs and windows would still be open.

Can you close the tabs and have the operating system run normally?

I just checked it again and the PSU fan DID run when I tried the paperclip in the PSU connector so it's not the PSU. How do I try turning it on without the power switch then?

I can post a picture of your motherboard with the start button header pins highlighted, but I will need the make and model of this computer.  If this is a custom build I well need the make and model of the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Mark64

Mark64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

I found where the pins were and I tried doing that with a paperclip but nothing happened. I think it is my motherboard that is bad.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:31 AM

That's what it looks like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users