Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I save a default display configuration?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

I've got 3 displays. one of them never comes up at the right resolution(an older 20"ish TV connected via HDMI) and the displays positions are always getting jumbled when I restart the computer. How do I save a default config so I don't have to manually adjust everything every time.

Linux Mint 17.3

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:03 AM

Hi Ravenbar, it has been a while.

Following are two videos, but first, my testing environment.

Setup here is in the garage.

Primary display is a Dell 19” monitor 10 years old, but I had to make it so (primary). Default display is a 23” touchscreen built in to an Acer Aspire Z5761 All-In-One.

The Dell monitor is identified as DVI-I-1, the Acer as HDMI-1. That is Delta Victor India dash India dash numeric one, and Hotel Delta Mike India dash numeric one.

Initially I threw on a live USB of LM 17.3 KDE (I take it KDE is still the DE you are using).

The Acer touchscreen is faulty, shows only a logo splash at startup and a splash at shutdown/reboot. I have eight (8) Linux Distros on it currently, since reformatting some weeks ago, and plan to put more on. Therefore I have to configure the display settings each time I throw in a Live medium, to make the Dell monitor the primary display, switch off or neutralise the Acer touchscreen, and get the changes to stick.

The photo screenshot (from my phone) shows the setup, and for most Debian-based distros, that is reflected in the Display Settings – Dell on the left, Acer on the right.

KfEungx.jpg

However in the case of LM 17.3 KDE, it was vice versa, so I had to move the mouse around a fair bit just to find which display was where. Then I had to get a workable environment with which to change display settings. In this case, it meant :

1. (right-clicking and) Installing a default panel

2. clicking the Kickoff menu and going to Display Configuration

With the two videos:

• The first, length 5:22, goes to black at about 3:54 (not sure why), let it run a few seconds then pause or stop and go to the second video
  • The second video picks up approximately where the first's viewable content finished. And it is the last few seconds that may be of most use to you.

Video 1 -

and Video 2 -

In summary, then, it may be the case that you are missing that last step to save as default.

Hope this helps

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users