Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with windows 8.1 upgrade (82%) Windows.old?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

After i used reset to factory settings on my dell laptop, it brought me back from win 8.1 to win 8. My C: was half full and found that the old windows system was still using around 120 GB from my space. Since i am planning to reinstall with Windows media tool using Windows 8.1 i had to upgrade to 8.1 again in order to start the reinstallation. The progress blocked at 82% and i read a few suggestions that it could be the charger (must be unplugged). I unplugged everything but it still remained blocked so i restarted it. It restored my windows 8 and i again found infromation that this Windows.old could be the reason why the upgrade stops at 82%. However, now after windows failed to upgrade me to 8.1 and restored to 8 this 120GB that were used by Windows.old is now free. Does that mean that it deleted itself. Shall i try to upgrade it again?

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:45 AM

If you are upgrading to Windows 8.1 you should uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs.

You should also Check your computer hard disk for errors.

Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Chkdsk  C:  /r command and press Enter key.

Posted Image

#3 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

When i try the command prompt- Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode. What the bloody hell that means? I have only 1 account on my laptop, it is supposed to be admin account right?

So i should also uninstall my antivirus and antimalware and disable my windows firewall?

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by resertedlab, 27 October 2016 - 01:54 PM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:29 PM

Hi resertedlab,

In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 simply hold down the BxVxp04.png + X keys and select the option “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

rS4b5c0.jpg

If you still having same error boot your computer into Safe Mode and execute those commands from Safe Mode.

Its better to uninstall antivirus and firewall program because disabling the antivirus program still not completely disabled and has open handles on file system.

Posted Image

#5 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:14 PM

FreeBooter, i did it all, uninstalled my antiviruses and still the same, i waited 75 minutes on 82% and gave up :( Apart from that my laptop starts to become very slow and buggy (something that never happened)

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

Use my batch script to delete Windows Media Creation Tool folders and files and temporary files link to batch script below.

You can also create Windows setup media and try to upgrade from Windows setup media.

https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=96

Posted Image

#7 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

Ok, i will do that tonight. Just one more thing to share with you- few days ago when i first tried to upgrade to win 8.1 my C: was half full (as we concluded it was windows.old), than after my failed attempt my C: was completely empty. The next day it was full again and my laptop started to get slower. Now, after i tried again (after i did what you adviced me), my C: is again completely empty and the machine is super fast? How is that possible?

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

The Windows Creation Tool download Windows setup files and deletes them when it no longer needed but Windows Update also may download Windows setup files and it will not delete them till you upgrade to Windows 8.1. My batch script will delete Windows downloaded upgrade files and folders.

Posted Image

#9 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

Ok, i downloaded the link but a black prompt open saying i need to be administartor?

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

You need to right click the batch script and click Run as administrator from context menu.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users