Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Burning Questions From A Clueless Novice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

There is much I don't know and answers to ANY of the below questions would be greatly appreciated:

Firstly, over the years collected numerous burning and converting programs (IMGBurn, Inrfarecorder, Burnaware, AnySoft,  Wondershare DVD Maker, WinX, ConvertXtoDVD, ImToo, etc).

1) What's the difference between an ISO and an IMG file?

2) Took DVD-R video of family event a while back. for some reason saved as .mp4 on laptop. Wanted to make a few new DVD's to share with family. Used Wondershare as it offers cute adjustable menu screens.

It burned the mp4 into DVD quality. However, I have 2 DVD players. One and old Samsung DVD-V2500 DVD/VHS and a slightly newer Funai VCR/DVD Recorder (ZV427FX4).

The finished DVD played well on the Funai but could not load on the Samsung. Spoke with Wondershare, suggested I convert to ISO first then retry.  Unfortunately same results.

Any idea why? I happened to like the ability to personalize the Intro/menu screen in Wondershare.

3) Which brings me to the last question- When I used Wondershare to to just save  MP4 as ISO, the result was and ISO file AND a folder with the Audio_TS/Video_TS folders as well. Why both. Where do I go from there? Do I use the ISO, selected files in video_TS only ????  Or either one?

Thanks for your patience.

Edited by chiiibill, 26 October 2016 - 12:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

1) What's the difference between an ISO and an IMG file?    

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-are-the-differences-between-iso-and-img-files

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

"...One and old Samsung DVD-V2500 DVD/VHS and a slightly newer Funai VCR/DVD Recorder (ZV427FX4).

The finished DVD played well on the Funai but could not load on the Samsung..."

I think the older Samsung cd/dvd circuit board could not "figure out" and read the "foreign format" [user-created DVD].

To me, it's similar to a Ford automotive computer trying to read and work with a Chevy engine, transmission, etc.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, RolandJS.

Will check out link.  Comment about Samsung makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users