Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird internet connection problem after anniversary update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fubarb

fubarb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:08 AM

Yesterday my computer automatically installed the anniversary update.

The problem after the update is that my internet connection stops after a while. If I restart the computer it will work for a few minutes but after that it will die again.

I tried updating my Wifi adapter drivers, reseting the TCP/IP stack to no avail.

But here's the weird part: It can still download torrents at full speed. But otherwise I have no internet connection.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:51 AM

Getting DNS errors by chance ?

I had something similar before and flushing dns solved my problem.

Edited by Thoth_Dhwty, 26 October 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time to open the Search box.

Type troubleshooting in the search box.

Click on Troubleshooting in the search results.

Click on View all and then click on Internet Connection troubleshooter.

Click on Next.

Follow on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 fubarb

fubarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I tried ipconfig /flushdns. Nothing changed

I also switched to an ethernet cable instead of Wifi. The problem persists.

I ran the Network Troubleshooter. It came back with " Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding"

The internet connection works well for a couple of minutes after restart, but then when I am trying to visit a website, the browser reports that the connection has timed out.

If I keep reloading then eventually the website will load, but this won't last more than a minute. So the internet connection isn't totally dead.

But the crazy part as I mentioned before is that torrents keep working the whole time. I also tried with Steam downloads and they work too. It seems that only web browsing is affected.

I just installed new Ethernet drivers. It's a Marvell Yukon 88E8056 adapter. Worked for a few minutes, but same problem again.

I don't think it is a driver issue. Whatever it is, it is driving me nuts. I'm this close from reverting the Anniversary update.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:25 AM

You can install driver for previous version of Windows OS like Windows 7, 8 or Windows 8.1 maybe Windows 10 version of the driver is buggy. When installing the driver for your network card uninstall the currently install driver first. Even do you said you have reset the TCP/IP suite lets make sure TCP/IP suite has been resetted correctly. Use my batch script to reset TCP/IP protocol suite, download link is below.

Repair TCP/IP Protocol Suite Errors

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:20 AM

Do you have another computer you could try the wifi adapter with to determine if the problem is with the wifi adapter?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 fubarb

fubarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:37 AM

Thanks everyone! I got fed up and reverted the anniversary update. Now everything works fine again.

Thanks FreeBooter for the .bat file. Unfortunately, by the time I saw your reply, I had already reverted my computer back to the previous build, so I hadn't the chance to test it. I saved it though for later because it seems really useful.

@dc3:

I tried three different adapters, all with different chipsets (Railink, Atheros and Realtek). All three are tested and working on other computers. Still, they exhibited exactly the same problem on this particular computer. I am quite confident by now that the problem is not due to a bad adapter or incorrect drivers.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:07 PM

You are very welcome @fubarb.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users