Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does factory reset reverse your android version

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:24 AM

When you do factory reset, does your android keeps it last version or or updates/upgrades are erased as well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

It's restored to new out of the box state.

Factory Reset what is it, and why would you?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the help Animal :) But the link leads back to this page. Also, i ask becuase i read in few other places that reset only deletes all apps but does not interact with the firmware, or in other words if you have updated your android version it will remain updated even after reset? I am not sure what would that mean. Also, i read about normal factory reset and hard factory reset. I dont know the difference, but i have Sony Xperia z5 and according to what i read it preforms hard reset when you tab that option from Settings. 

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

Interesting on the link. Here it is without BBCode

http://androidforums.com/threads/factory-reset-what-is-it-and-why-would-you.646432/

EDIT: Looks like the Sony has two levels of reset and 4 different options.

http://devicereset.com/how-to-hard-reset-sony-xperia-z5-with-4-easy-methods/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Ok, i think i get you know. So the system is not effected by the reset and if its updated, it remains updated, if i understand it right. Thanks :)

#6 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:13 AM

So, from what i understand, resetting from settings (reset and wipe everything) is the same as resetting from pushing the up and down buttons- both erase everything the same, right?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

Unclear on what you mean by your last two questions.

Post #5 As I said there are two different levels of reset. One of which does wipe it back to brand new out of the box state.

Post #6 I have no idea what that means. I don't own a Sony Xperia so I don't have a point of reference regarding pushing up and down buttons. And that action replicating another to wipe a device.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

Animal, sorry for the confusion :) By post 5 i meant that even when i wipe it back to the box state, if i had updated my android verison from lets say 5 to 6 version, it remains updated even after the reset? 

In post 6 i meant when you reset and wipe your data through your settings, is it the same as if your reset it using other of the above methods. I dont understand the difference between the two levels of reset?

Thanks again :)

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

If you factory reset. Thats what that means. Back to the condition it came from the factory. No updates, nothing you added after activating is retained. It's all gone.

With the link I shared, there are two resets. A 'soft' reset and a factory reset. Soft reset does retain some user data.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

But look this thread, they all say the updates remain?

https://www.quora.com/If-I-do-a-factory-reset-on-an-Android-phone-will-the-software-update-also-be-deleted

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:37 PM

I can't see the link I am not a member and won't create an account.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#12 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

Okey Animal thanks for the time :) Yet updates do not reverse even if you hard reset the phone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users