Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do I recover my deleted photos from my Galaxy S7?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Laola117

Laola117

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:43 AM

Hello, I need to retrieve my lost photos on my Samsung galaxy s7. I wanted to get a lock on my photo gallery, so I downloaded and install an app on my Galaxy s7, then I didn't like the app and removed it and it took my photos with it. i cannot get them back, please help!!  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cdbunch

cdbunch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:54 AM

I have been doing some research on the problem of Android data recovery products. The following review lists 5 products that may be good choices. However, I cannot personally vouch for any of them as I have not used any of them:

http://www.bestiphonedatarecovery.com/android-data-recovery/

In doing this research I am seeing that there is a major lack of transparency in the products that I see being offered. One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is that virtually nothing is said about what exactly are the limitations of the free trial products. That always makes me uncomfortable. I found it very difficult to locate reviews that provide any such information. I also noted that some of these products want you to root your phone. I absolutely do not recommend doing that unless you really know what you are doing and are sure you are not subjecting the rooted device to access by untrustworthy software. Most devices can be unrooted after performing an operation that requires the device to be rooted but, again, this is risky territory.

If by any chance you try any of these products or any other it would be great if you could report back here to let us know about your experience!

#3 cdbunch

cdbunch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:43 PM

Here is another possibly useful article. Scroll down to the section on Android. You might try the DiskDigger and Undelete apps. Again, I have not used them but if you do try them out please report back on the results.

http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/how-to-restore-deleted-files-on-any-device-1781873208

#4 cdbunch

cdbunch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:29 AM

Here is a video and article that provide better info on two specific products. In my own search for better Android file recovery techniques I find these of interest.

First, this video of the Dr Fone for Android file recovery product. This one does not require that the device be rooted but in order to actually recover the files you have to buy a license that costs $50. It is a life time license so that $50 could go a long way but if you never use it again it seems like a pretty expensive option unless the deleted files are important enough to justify that expense:

I am guessing that the other Android file recovery apps are pretty similar but cannot say for sure right now.

The following article with linked video discusses using DiskDigger. The video says that it will only work if the device is rooted. The second link to the DiskDigger site says that the device must be rooted in order to recover anything except photos. Apparently you could recover the photos with the free version without rooting the device which would be ideal. The pro version, which is supposed to recover pretty much anything, costs $15 but require rooting in order to recover anything except photos.

http://androidcritics.com/how-to-recover-deleted-photos-videos-files-using-diskdigger/

https://diskdigger.org/android

#5 cdbunch

cdbunch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

The one free option I encountered that claims to recover photos without rooting is DiskDigger although there might be others. The info I found was not completely consistent but the DiskDigger site did claim no root was needed for photos although it would need root for other types of files or to do a really good job with photos. It is probably worth trying. If you try it and it will not get them back without root then you would not have lost anything. The site does say that on a non-rooted device what it would recover is lower resolution copies of photos. How much lower that would be and if they would be acceptable I do not know. The app site is:

https://diskdigger.org/

Although I do not generally recommend rooting a device, if getting those photos back is really important it might still be worth doing. You could unroot the device afterward by reloading the stock firmware. There are instructions for doing that here:

http://galaxys7root.com/galaxy-s7-s7-edge-root/how-to-unroot-galaxy-s7-or-s7-edge-with-stock-firmware/

You would want to backup all of your data to a location off the device. There are instructions for doing Android backups here:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819582?hl=en

This gets pretty involved if do the unroot and I don't know if want to get into those complications or not. At an absloute minimum you would want to beging using the backup services now to avoid this kind of problem in the future.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

I would be curious if the original poster ever did recover his or her pictures.

One does not need to root a phone in order for it to be recognized as a media device by Windows, but on the Galaxy S7 you do have to grant permission for the computer to be a trusted device (I think that's the term they used - when I first plugged in the S7 I had to tell it to allow the computer to access it's internal memory and the microSD card and that choice has "stuck" ever since).

One of the things this points out, and it's really no different than when you take photos on a regular digital camera, is that you should always download your photos from the phone to your computer so that you have duplicates for safekeeping.  You should also be taking regular backups of your computer itself, which gives you another backup copy of said images.  Keeping images only on the device where they were originally shot is just asking for trouble (and I do not say that to rub salt in a wound, but so that others will know that you must make backups of your images).

Since many phones, but not the Galaxy S7, have pretty limited internal storage you will also often wish to delete the photos from the device after they have been successfully downloaded to your computer.  You can always copy back the select images you want to have on your phone so you can show others.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 Eansfertys

Eansfertys

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

The one free option I encountered that claims to recover photos without rooting is DiskDigger although there might be others. The info I found was not completely consistent but the DiskDigger site did claim no root was needed for photos although it would need root for other types of files or to do a really good job with photos. It is probably worth trying. If you try it and it will not get them back without root then you would not have lost anything. The site does say that on a non-rooted device what it would recover is lower resolution copies of photos. How much lower that would be and if they would be acceptable I do not know. The app site is:

Although I do not generally recommend rooting a device, if getting those photos back is really important it might still be worth doing. You could unroot the device afterward by reloading the stock firmware. There are instructions for doing that here:

You would want to backup all of your data to a location off the device. There are instructions for doing Android backups here:

This gets pretty involved if do the unroot and I don't know if want to get into those complications or not. At an absloute minimum you would want to beging using the backup services now to avoid this kind of problem in the future.

As i know , the lost data will can be back with recovery tool , but once the photos was completely covered on Galaxy , it means that the photos had been permanently deleted from phone when they was covered , isn't it ?

Can we recover them back ?

#8 Wanskerty

Wanskerty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:15 AM

I have been doing some research on the problem of Android data recovery products. The following review lists 5 products that may be good choices. However, I cannot personally vouch for any of them as I have not used any of them:

https://www.mobiledic.com/android-topic/restore-deleted-photos-from-samsung-phone.html

In doing this research I am seeing that there is a major lack of transparency in the products that I see being offered. One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is that virtually nothing is said about what exactly are the limitations of the free trial products. That always makes me uncomfortable. I found it very difficult to locate reviews that provide any such information. I also noted that some of these products want you to root your phone. I absolutely do not recommend doing that unless you really know what you are doing and are sure you are not subjecting the rooted device to access by untrustworthy software. Most devices can be unrooted after performing an operation that requires the device to be rooted but, again, this is risky territory.

If by any chance you try any of these products or any other it would be great if you could report back here to let us know about your experience!

All the above are great suggestions, we can recover lost photos from Galaxy according to your method ,

Edited by Wanskerty, 17 July 2017 - 03:20 AM.

#9 Emichael

Emichael

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:45 AM

http://www.bestiphonedatarecovery.com/android-data-recovery/

I do agree with you. But before you try to get back your photos from this tool, you are supposed to check out your backup file in Google Drive or DropBox. Try to see if you can recover them from there.

#10 michael17

michael17

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:56 AM

Samsung dropped the SD card in the Galaxy S6 and brought it back in the Galaxy S7.

Samsung official website said, ”By default, your photos and videos are stored on your device's internal memory. If you have installed a microSD card in your device, the device will ask if you want to save photos to the microSD card the next time you open the Camera application.

Current situation:

1) If you have image backup files on your local computer, Google Photo, Google Drive or Dropbox, you can retrieve the lost images with ease.

2) If there is no backups, you need to use third-party data recovery tools.

3) If the lost pictures were saved on an external memory card, the normal picture recovery tool can easily restore them.

4) If the images were saved in your Galaxy S7's internal storage, only the professional Android data recovery software can recover the lost images and other files.

Good luck!

Edited by michael17, 20 September 2017 - 02:58 AM.

#11 michael17

michael17

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

Samsung dropped the SD card in the Galaxy S6 and brought it back in the Galaxy S7.

Samsung official website said, ”By default, your photos and videos are stored on your device's internal memory. If you have installed a microSD card in your device, the device will ask if you want to save photos to the microSD card the next time you open the Camera application.

Current situation:

1) If you have image backup files on your local computer, Google Photo, Google Drive or Dropbox, you can retrieve the lost images with ease.

2) If there is no backups, you need to use third-party data recovery tools.

3) If the lost pictures were saved on an external memory card, the normal picture recovery tool can easily restore them.

4) If the images were saved in your Galaxy S7's internal storage, only the professional Android data recovery software can recover the lost images and other files.

Good luck!

Many users ask me to recommend a data recovery tool that can restore lost images from the Galaxy S7's internal storage. However, recommending software product here may violate the forum rules. So, I can only tell you the common Android data recovery tools, such as Tenorshare, SoftHow, FonePaw and so on. You need to try and find the best Android data recovery tool. Note: Do not easily buy any data recovery tool, unless it has helped you find the missing files. Good luck!

#12 sorenmvp

sorenmvp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:16 AM

https://www.tunesbro.com/recover-lost-photos-samsung-galaxy-phone.html

In doing this research I am seeing that there is a major lack of transparency in the products that I see being offered. One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is that virtually nothing is said about what exactly are the limitations of the free trial products. 

does rooting required for this product? thanks

#13 deveauwelle32

deveauwelle32

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:19 AM

I think you can get this method to do: use a Samsung photo recovery tool to help. If you don't know how to use, just learn some simple guides.

To prevent of data loss problem, I think it is possible to backup the photos and save the photos on two places. 

Edited by deveauwelle32, 01 November 2017 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users