Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hidden windows 10 upgrade - unwanted downloaded updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 daimonionen

daimonionen

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:56 AM

Hey. I don't want win10 and therefore use never10 to not upgrade. However, I still assumed I could/should continue updating win8.1 and therefore looked over the available updates - none of them seemed to be about win10 so I downloaded them, and then it said "windows 10 upgrade ready, restart". I thought It wouldn't happen as long as i had never10, so i restarted, and it said installing updates blabla, but then i changed my mind and just turned the computer off.

WHen i restarted it, it showed that the updates were no longer available, and therefore i assume they're installed. I do not currently have windows 10, but perhaps some of its components are still installed??

What do i do? I don't even want a sliver of win10

I have win8.1

Edited by daimonionen, 26 October 2016 - 01:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daimonionen

daimonionen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:09 AM

Also: How do I know what files NOT to update with windows update, so that I can avoid updating to win10 in the future

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:30 AM

I use Gibson Research's Never10.

As well as using the correct Microsoft technique to prevent an update to Windows 10 from taking place, it also detects if Win10 pre-installation files have been downloaded and offers to delete them for you.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Edited by Platypus, 26 October 2016 - 02:42 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 daimonionen

daimonionen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:35 AM

as well as using the correct Microsoft technique to prevent an update to Windows 10 from taking place

What's that?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,689 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:02 AM

I gather it involves reading through all the relevant information released by Microsoft to enable Systems Administrators to prevent unwanted upgrades in a corporate or business environment. I've certainly never tried to work it out, as Never10 has it automated.

However, I have the impression the procedures have changed with time, and I expect it would be possible to unwittingly manually bypass the Never10 settings, especially if it has been some time since you ran Never10, or it isn't the current version.

The information readily available seems to be older, and related to preventing automatic updating. I'll ask around if anyone has any information about avoiding breaking the exclusion by manual updating.

Edit: just to check, since you mentioned feeling safe because you had Never10, you recognize having the program on your system does nothing, when you initially run it the settings of Group Policy and registry entries are changed and if anything external altered that, Never10 would need to be run again?

Edited by Platypus, 26 October 2016 - 03:07 AM.

#6 daimonionen

daimonionen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:20 AM

Uh... I tried starting never 10 again, if that's what you're saying. It did nothing. Just said win10 update was disabled.

#7 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:27 AM

NOTICE!!  New Windows OPTIONAL Update
REMOVES the GWX Crapware! (KB3184143)

Also follow up with this M/soft release on "Do not install".

Microsoft as released an OPTIONAL (you must enable it in Windows Update, or obtain it from their website). This removes all of the GWX (Get Windows10) nonsense from PCs.

HERE IS THE MICROSOFT LINK TO THE UPDATE.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,689 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:12 AM

Just said win10 update was disabled.

It is the latest version? (April this year)

If update is still disabled and the updates are not offered, it seems to me that Never10 is still "in control". You're not going to have bits of Windows 10 operational in Win 8.1, it's an all or nothing upgrade.

I've known two people who turned the computer off when it tried a forced Windows 10 upgrade, neither had any adverse consequences.

#9 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:50 AM

If you wish to put more work into it, you can try this.

To remove the Upgrade items, copy and paste the full code listed below in the box to Notepad, not wordpad or other editor and Name it Remove_WinX_Upgrade.bat (the .bat extension is very important) and Save as type, "All Files" , now save it to your Desktop.

Right click on it, on your desktop, and select Run as Administrator. It should just flash once and then it will be done and remove the main problem Upgrades. I used it and it works ..

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx" /v DisableGWX /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v DisableOSUpgrade /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v AllowOSUpgrade /d 0 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v ReservationsAllowed /d 0 /f
TASKKILL /IM GWX.exe /T /F

start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart /log
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart /log
exit

You should reboot after doing this, but it is not important to do it now..

Hope this also helps, as there are many similar codes, but this is from a Trusted Source (Tweaking.com)

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users