Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Surface pro - can't update windows and store apps is broken

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 stayinwonderland

stayinwonderland

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:54 PM

Just got a refurbished Surface Pro 2 and I feel like the Windows installation might be a bit broken. Done all the usual googlings and every step I make takes me further down a feedback loop of 'computer says no'.

Firstly, if I try to check for updates (in control panel), it gets stuck in a 'checking for updates' loop. I saw one fix was to make sure the date was correct, mine was WAY off, oh how I delighted in the promise of that being the obvious fault - it was not.

The other issue is that the app store thing has never worked. At first it was because the initial Windows set up messed up my attempt to log in using my Microsoft ID, then I rectified that and, like the update issue, it too hung upon trying to start it. I did the fix where you copy and paste this 'Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML' into Powershell, but all that did was delete the actual store app.

Store is ok now, no particular reason, just windows update that's broke.

Edited by stayinwonderland, 25 October 2016 - 09:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stavros3000

stavros3000

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:56 AM

Hi,

Do you ever get an error code during the windows update cycle?  

You may already have done most of these checks but cant help to check here:-   https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/support/performance-and-maintenance/troubleshoot-updates?os=windows-10&=undefined

Thanks

Steve

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

If the date and time are off this could be a bad CMOS battery.

Did you get a warranty with the refurbished computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 stayinwonderland

stayinwonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

Hi,

Do you ever get an error code during the windows update cycle?  

You may already have done most of these checks but cant help to check here:-   https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/support/performance-and-maintenance/troubleshoot-updates?os=windows-10&=undefined

Thanks

Steve

I'll check those and get back, thanks.

If the date and time are off this could be a bad CMOS battery.

Did you get a warranty with the refurbished computer.

I just did some googling and someone said that the board is always powered by the main battery and doesn't use CMOS, something about a hot bus.

#5 stayinwonderland

stayinwonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

update. Tried a few things, man this operating system is INFURIATING. Every step I take gives me an error. 

It's actually not a surface pro, but a surface 2. For some reason I thought it was a pro, but regardless it runs on Windows RT 8.1 (worst OS in all my days and I began on 98).

The update issue is just that it hangs and gives no errors. I downloaded one trouble shooter and it 'fixed' the problems, yet nothing whatsoever changed. Just ran it again, fixed another corrupt/missing file. Still won't update.

Then tried to run WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab and that refuses to run. I follow the instructions for running such a file and it just says 'windows cannot find' it.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:50 AM

Use my batch script to repair Windows Update errors if this batch script wont work we will try other steps to resolve the update issue. The link below belongs to batch script download page.

Repair Windows Update Errors

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

Try resetting the update components.

Open Notebook and copy and paste the batch script below in it.  Save this to the Desktop and name it UCReset.bat.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

To run the batch script right click on the UCReset.bat file on the desktop and select Run as administrator.

Restart your computer and try updating again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 stayinwonderland

stayinwonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

Use my batch script to repair Windows Update errors if this batch script wont work we will try other steps to resolve the update issue. The link below belongs to batch script download page.

Repair Windows Update Errors

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm on Windows 8.1 RT so it won't run such files unfortunately.

Try resetting the update components.

Open Notebook and copy and paste the batch script below in it.  Save this to the Desktop and name it UCReset.bat.

To run the batch script right click on the UCReset.bat file on the desktop and select Run as administrator.

Restart your computer and try updating again.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried and it didn't work.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

Sorry stayinwonderland  but i don't understand how you were able to execute @dc3 batch script but not mind.

2GvnEq2.gif

#10 stayinwonderland

stayinwonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

you're right, I was getting it confused with another file. Ok I ran it but I don't think it liked it. At first Windows said it can't run that file because it's not trusted etc. I ran it anyway, it did its thing, a few errors quickly popped up and went away. It asked for reboot, windows jumped in saying again, this can't be trusted, I restarted but now it's saying Windows can't check for updates because the service is not running.

Does that make sense? How do I find the update service?

(edit: looked for 'windows update service' in the list of services and also tried the command prompt net start wuauserv)

thanks

Edited by stayinwonderland, 27 October 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

You need to disable SmartScreen from Control Panel --> Security and Maintenance --> Change Windows SmartScreen settings.  Please run the command again as the batch script was block by SmartScreen from completely executing that was the reason why you have seen all those popup errors. 

If my batch script wont work then open the command Prompt as a administrator and execute Sfc /Scannow command.

2GvnEq2.gif

#12 stayinwonderland

stayinwonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

I disabled smartscreen and it still gave me the warnings. I'm gonna reinstall windows. This is unfixable as far as I can see. I'd love to find whoever is responsible for Windows RT.

#13 stayinwonderland

stayinwonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

update: reinstalled Windows. Problem persists. 

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

How did you reinstall Windows did you factory reset?

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

2GvnEq2.gif

#15 stayinwonderland

stayinwonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

I think so but now that I think about it, it didn't seem particularly slow. There are two options, one that resets everything and says something like 'if you intend to keep using this PC' and the second option is to totally wipe it as though you were about to recycle it, and this may take a long time. Read online that it suggests option one and that's what I went for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users