Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on which laptop to buy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 takoo

takoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, and need advice on which laptop to buy.

I work from home, and need a reliable, desktop-replacement like laptop, that will serve me well for the next 2 years (at least). On a typical day, I usually have 2-4 spreadsheets running, outlook, ms office, notepad, photoshop, FileZilla, chrome (10-30 tabs), firefox (about 5-10 tabs), quickbooks. Occasionally, I will play some simple online games, and watch youtube. I do not use the laptop to store videos/music/photos.

From time to time I will need to carry the laptop with me to meet with some of my clients, so weight is a small issue.

I've been browsing the web a lot, and have my brain stuck on two laptops, the new HP ProBook Gen 4, as they seem to have what I need and they don't cost a leg and an arm:

http://www.lmc.com.au/products/592109/HP-ProBook-450-G4-Z3Y50PA - Intel i7, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, windows 10, 15.6" fhd

http://www.lmc.com.au/products/592107/HP-ProBook-450-G4-Z3Y48PA - Intel i5, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, windows 10, 15.6"fhd

The reasons for me thinking about those 2 models are; I've found HP very reliable, their extended warranty and support is quite cheap in Australia with a very good service, I prefer a factory fit ssd than buying one myself, and I prefer a bigger and decent looking screen (no 14inch or less, or hd display).

Which one of those 2 would you recommend? Does i7 really make a big difference over i5 for the previously listed tasks I normally do? I really need the laptop to continue performing well for the next 2 years, without lagging and taking forever to load/open documents and boot up. Battery life is also important, ideally I'd like to get at least 3hrs use on a single charge.

I appreciate your help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

Hi,

I don't use the same mix of apps that you do simultaneously.  

My first concern is that you would get great benefit from increasing your RAM.  On a quick search of Crucial's website, it appears that those two machines can run up to 32 GB of RAM.  I think it might be painful to try to run all of those applications well at 8GB of RAM.  I would want to go to at least 16 GB, which can be done by simply adding one extra 8 GB RAM module if I am reading the specs correctly.  Very cost effective to do that upgrade.  RAM is cheap and effectively speeds things up.  I would consider maxing out the system in RAM.  

I think I would really want a processor with 4 cores rather than 2 for everything that you want to do simultaneously.  

I would look at their customizable workstations. You can choose a variety of 4 core processors, including Xeon.  You can go up to 64 GB of ECC RAM.  I don't know how you are using Photoshop.  I know people who "use" photoshop and do okay with a $1200 computer.  And I know people who use PS Professionally who are using $4,000 and $7,000 computers and they want faster. 

I have no experience with that particular model.  

Steve

Edited by SafetySteve, 26 October 2016 - 03:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users