Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I get a new laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ncs22

ncs22

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

I have an HP Envy 17 laptop which is almost 6 years old. It has lots of problems lately: some keys do not work properly; certain mousepad functionalities do not work (like expanding/contracting fingers to zoom in/out), the battery needs replacing, the laptop heats up too much too quickly, and (most importantly) the screen goes completely white every now and then while I'm in the middle of working on something (when this happens I just put it in sleep mode for a few minutes, and then attempt to work again for as long as possible before it whites out again). Diagnostics/repair with Geek Squad will run me about $150, plus $50 for a new keyboard and $100 for a battery..so potentially looking at $300 or more to get this like new again. If I get a new one, I want another 17 inch laptop. Any thoughts? Should I repair or purchase? Thanks..

Edited by ncs22, 25 October 2016 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:43 PM

I vote purchase a new one.  Warranty's a lot longer than 90 days repair warranty.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

What's a good 17 inch laptop (with webcam)? I'm not a heavy gamer, just use it to work, browse, watch videos...anything under $500 that fits the bill?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

Dunno, I paid a lot more than that for mine  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users