Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lawyers file fake lawsuits to de-index online negative reviews, suit says

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

Consumer Opinion runs pissedconsumer.com, and the group says these lawyers essentially manipulated California's legal system by conducting a "rather brilliant but incredibly unethical" scheme to make negative reviews on the site essentially disappear from search results. The suit asks a federal judge to "discipline them for those misdeeds."

The suit notes a complex web of reputation companies and fake or "stooge" defendants working together. According to the lawsuit, it works like this: the attorneys sue the "stooge" authors of negative reviews—allegedly defamatory reviews that are published on the pissedconsumer.com site. But these lawsuit defendants didn't actually write the review, and the suits immediately settle. The judgements are then used to get Yahoo, Google, and Bing to erase negative reviews from search results. The suit alleges that a Florida attorney, the subject of some 59 negative reviews on pissedconsumer.com, was among the beneficiaries of the alleged scheme.

The lawsuit points out six similarly worded defamation lawsuits lodged in Contra Costa County, just east of San Francisco. The suits are filed, according to the lawsuit, because pissedconsumer.com won't remove the reviews from its website. "The scam is not all that complicated," Marc Randazza, Consumer Opinion's attorney, wrote in the lawsuit.

Mascott did not immediately respond for comment. The answering machine for Lapham was full, so Ars could not leave a message.

Source

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/10/lawyers-file-fake-lawsuits-to-de-index-online-negative-reviews-suit-says/

Its a pity that people like this waste their time in frivolous law suits instead of providing a great service.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

They're lawyers. Waddya' expect? Honesty?

Lawyers are hired guns. The one that is the most skilled and fastest on the draw makes the money.

A tour ship sank in the ocean. All the passengers were floating in the water with life vests including a lawyer. Sharks moved in and ate all the passengers one by one, until only the lawyer was left. After several minutes of fearfully watching them circle him, he shouted, "Why don't you just eat me too and be done with it!"

The biggest, ugliest, nastiest shark stuck his head out of the water and said, "Professional Courtesy".

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

@ ranchhand_ #2

I fear you are in error !  In any lawsuit it is not one lawyer that makes the money, it is at least two of them, if not two teams of them. And win, lose or draw, they collect their fees !  And then there is always the possibility of an appeal.

"After the revolution, the first thing we do is shoot the lawyers !"  A quote from something I came across once, just don't ask me where.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:35 AM

Wow, Chris, you gave me a great idea! What if Scotland and Yankee-land both passed laws that a lawyer only got paid if he (or they) WON the case! The looser doesn't get paid! Suddenly the courts would not have huge backlogs of frivolous cases! :woot:

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

Wow, Chris, you gave me a great idea! What if Scotland and Yankee-land both passed laws that a lawyer only got paid if he (or they) WON the case! The looser doesn't get paid!

We actually have a similar system in Australia.

Heres an example.

Slater and Gordon's innovative No Win - No Fee arrangement has meant that many Australians whose financial situation would otherwise deny them legal representation are now able to access the legal system.

The arrangement is designed with exactly that purpose in mind. Introduced to Victorians in 1994, No Win - No Fee was created in direct response to growing community concern that access to legal justice was beyond the reach of many and increasingly restricted to those with the financial resources to pay for it.

How does it work?

Under the No Win - No Fee arrangement, if your claim is unsuccessful you may not need to pay any legal fees. If your claim is successful, however, even with the arrangement you may be charged legal fees which may include a 'success fee'.

A success fee is typically a percentage added to the final costs. For example, under Victorian law if your claim is successful an increase in the costs of up to 25% is permitted as a success fee. This 'uplift' is not calculated as a percentage of your settlement money.

Is it available in all cases?

Slater and Gordon Lawyers offer No Win No Fee arrangements for all areas of compensation law including:

https://www.slatergordon.com.au/firm/legal-costs/no-win-no-fee

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users