Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP All-In-One won't boot past HP logo(No bios or anything) but sometimes works?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Naming Is Hard

Naming Is Hard

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:30 PM

HP Envy 20. Windows 10

A family member asked me to take a look at their computer but i can't figure out what's wrong with it so I'm reaching out for some help.
Basically it powers up, gets to the very first splash screen, before any bios/setup/diagnostic options even are available and doesn't boot past that point.
The weird thing is the first time i tried to boot it up it started perfectly fine, i even updated the OS and reset a few times and it still booted fine. But then i shut down and tried to boot and the problem started again. 

I've already tried a "Hard reset" and removing the CMOS battery to see if i could get it to boot but no luck.

As far as i know no updates or changes were made to any of the hardware.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Naming Is Hard, 25 October 2016 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

Try booting into safe mode. What happens?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Naming Is Hard

Naming Is Hard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

Try booting into safe mode. What happens?

Sorry i think i should have been more specific, it does not boot past the very first HP splash screen. So booting into safe mode is impossible, as well as getting into the bios or any diagnostic tests.

Also there are no beeps

Edited by Naming Is Hard, 25 October 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

I am assuming (please correct me if I am wrong) that you hear the circulation fans spin up, maybe the Optical drive power light blinks on start as normal, but the computer is unresponsive and monitor is dark. In addition, I assume that if you have a laser mouse, the laser lamp on the bottom is dark and does not glow.

It this is correct, it appears that the signal from the power supply is not even reaching the BIOS to start the boot procedure. There is no keyboard recognition beep so that supports the diagnosis. The HP logo is coming from a chip in the monitor, not the BIOS, so the monitor seems to be working. You have reset the BIOS by removing the battery for a few minutes and reinserting it, correct? 

What you have is a low-level hardware failure. There are only 4 things that can cause that: a corrupted/failed BIOS chip, a failed power supply, a failed CPU or a failed motherboard. You have attempted a reset of the BIOS, so a corrupted BIOS is ruled out. Unfortunately, this unit is one of these "all-in-ones" that HP manufactured for a while, so testing the power supply on one of these is out of my experience. Perhaps someone else with experience with these can post in.

So the PS is an unknown. If you can access it, and if you have a power supply tester, pull the 24-pin plug off the mainboard and plug it into the tester, then plug in the power cable to the computer.

That leaves the CPU and the mainboard. In all my years of working on computers I have only had two CPUs that failed, but lots of mainboards. Either way, it will probably cost 33% (or more) of a new unit to replace the mainboard or CPU, and that depends of if the mainboards are even available any more.

Perhaps taking it to a dependable local shop might be the best thing at this point. I strongly do not recommend any retail, "box" store. They are notorious for inexperienced help, and eager to sell you their products more than really helping you.

[EDIT]: On thinking about it, one last thing you can try. There must be a way to access the memory modules (aka: "sticks") on that unit, probably from the rear. Possibly a small cover that snaps off or some such. Try removing the stick(s), gently wipe the contacts with a paper towel, and put them back in. I don't think that will be the problem, but at least it's worth a try and will only take a couple of minutes.

Edited by ranchhand_, 26 October 2016 - 08:24 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users