Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I delete Windows Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

Greetings.  On another posting where i got input from knowledgable members of this forum. I was able to finally get my computer on line and I made a mistake in doing it. My computer originally had Windows Vista Business as the O/S which was later upgraded to Windows 7 Pro. I got to the point where I had so many problems that I decided to re-install and  there I ran into problems as well and was encountering a problem with the Realtek unit and cam to ralize that I was having the problem is that I was using the wrong Vista re-install disc (Home Premium) when it should have been the Business editon Bottom line, I finally was able to get on the Internet, but with the wrong Vista Edition and now I have to get rid of it to re-install with the Vista Business editon so I can follow up with the Windows 7 Pro. So, I guess my question is how can I get rid of the Vista Home Edition.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

You should be able to get rid of Vista using diskpart. When you get to the first Vista Install Window that asks for language press shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart             This opens the diskpart command window

list disk

select disk X      X being the disk number you wish to install Vista to. If you only have one disk it will be 0.

clean                 deletes the partition table essentially giving you a blank disk. 

exit                    exits diskpart     

exit                    exits command prompt

Continue with the install.

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:23 PM

I put the disk back in and it doesn't show the language page, and goes into the install, so it doesn't present the opportunity to do what you suggest. Sorry.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

You can do the same thing with a bootable Partition Wizard disk. Burn the iso to a CD. Boot the Partition Wizard disk and select Delete All Partitions. Then boot your Windows install disk.

All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until Apply is clicked.

I was hoping you would get an install window like the one below.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/vista/images/Vista%20Clean%20Installation/Vista%20Final%20-0017.jpg

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:14 AM

I should have pointed this out beforehand, sorry. You do not need to install Vista first even if your Windows 7 disk is an upgrade disk. 

See this guide

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

At point, I ordered an disk to wipe my computer and start over again. Hopefully it will work,  I'll be back in about 3 days. to let you know how I made oout.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

Good Luck. I am curious as to why you decided to order a disk to wipe the computer. You can also use the iso of bootable Partition Wizard to create a bootable USB flash drive to do the same thing.

#8 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

Seemed to be a consensus thing. Anyhow, I was able to create a wipe disk from DBAN but it didn't work and I was wondering if it would or not since the reinstalls  created so much of nothing on my computer to delete.  Anyhow it seems that I was able to install the Windows Vista Business over the Vista home and the Realtek problem that I had before is still there so I got the download of the Realtek vista and went to install it to repair the Realtek already installed on my computer and I ran into another wall with the appearance of a pop up that requires a user and password in order to me to continue with the installation of the Realtek. Thinking that they meant the user and password that I use to access my computer because its the only one I know of, I entered it in the appropriate boxes and was denied. So, now I am stuck with that. I don't know what other user name and password they could mean.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

That I believe is the UAC. Open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the search box. Right click and select Run as Administrator. At the command prompt type

net user administrator /active:yes

This will enable the hidden administrator account. Logout of your account and login to the Administrator Account. If you do not see it listed reboot. Try installing the Realtek driver in the Administrator Account.

#10 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

I was able to download the DBAN wipe onto another computer and then send it to an RW cd. Now the problem I'm having is to get it to work on the computer in question. There are suggestions to put the CD in the BIOS in the f first position in the order which I did and it still didn't work. The I did the F12 to start from that position and still no reaction. I'm wondering if I put it on the righ disk. Too, I think I thry an ear;eoer siggestion here to try partition wizard. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

It depends on how you burned DBAN. I recommend you download Partition Wizard Bootable and burn the iso using Imgburn to a CD. You can also use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. If using Rufus select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is listed in the dropdown box select iso image, click on the icon and browse to the Partition wizard iso file. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted. Boot the computer with the flash drive attached and tap F12 if that is your boot menu key. 

It's possible DBAN cannot detect your SATA disk as it's an older program.

As I mentioned before you can do a clean install using the install disk of Windows 7 you have. 

What is the make and model of the computer?

#12 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED! I purchased a DBAN disk and wiped the hard drive. I tried to install my windows 7 pro off of a disc that I have but has a crack about 3/4 of an inch extending out from the hole. As a result, it would go so far and the stop installing. I was doing some surfing about windows 7 discs that I might purchase when on a popular auction website, I saw an offer for a very cheap price for a windows 7 combination disc. That is to say, it can be used on many versions of Windows 7 as long as I had the key code and I do. It came today and I installed it today and everything is fine with my Windows 7 Pro. Thank you all for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users