Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: need new device for email, facebook and videos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 apatrick918

apatrick918

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

Laptop or Desktop?  Good question--I don't know. Maybe a notebook/tablet would work.  I need recommendations

My budget for the new computer is: $300

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? email, web browsing, Facebook with FB games, downloading/viewing videos/tv shows/movies, some photo storage

What software do you intend on using on the computer? web browser primarily (don't need or use MS Office)

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?  Games from Facebook (nothing intense)

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?  one thing at a time

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? maybe 100-200 photos

Will you be overclocking?  I don't even know what that is

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Orlando, FL

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1

Do you need peripherals? OS? N/A

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? old desktop died

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

Hi.  It sounds like a Chromebook would fit your needs nicely.  I would strongly consider one.

Advantages of Chromebook versus PC:

1.  It is very close to being a maintenance free appliance.  Much closer than any other consumer oriented computer.  Wipe the fingerprints off the screen and every 6 months blow it out with compressed air.  Seriously.

2.  It is more secure than a Windows based pc.  

3.  Fast start up times.  Many run very cool.  Long battery life.

4.  Stable/reliable.

There is a reason that Chromebooks are being used by many school systems for their students.  They are easy to manage and maintain.

I have had one for about two years now.  It is the most commonly used computer in our house.  More commonly used than our MacBook Pro or powerful custom desktop PC.

Cons:

1.  You cannot plug a printer directly into the computer and print.  You will need to use a Google Cloud enabled printer or use another computer to work as a print server.  But how often do you really need to print?

2.  You cannot run Windows applications.  But with the Google apps and other web based services, do you really need to?

Our original Chromebook was bought for the purpose of travel.  I bought one with a 11.6 inch screen.  Our next one will have either a 13 or 14 inch screen to make it a bit easier on my eyes.  I would recommend a 13-15 inch screen depending upon your eyes and needs.

The season for discounts and sales is coming up quick.  I would look at Chromebooks up to about $350.  When I bought my Chromebook it was on a $50 off sale at this time of year.  

Some of these devices have nicer keyboards than others.  I would go to some of the big box stores and try out the keyboards and displays.

I would read reviews on Amazon.com.  My Chromebook model has been discontinued so I won't recommend it.  

Good luck!

#3 apatrick918

apatrick918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the input!  I'll check it out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users