Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Shuts Down When Entering Sleep Mode

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 failuretolaunch

failuretolaunch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

So, I'm not exactly tech savvy and this could be user error but here goes,

I recently purchased my first gaming laptop, an Asus Republic of Gamers laptop with a quad-core intel processor, 12GB or ram and an NIVIDIA GeForce graphics card. I've had it for about two months now and this process has been happening repeatedly. The computer runs fine, goes into sleep and returns as normal for about a week, then for about a week, selecting sleep mode in the power options or closing the lid causes it to shut down completely, having to hit the power button to restart it. Afterwards, the problem fixes itself for about a week again, then repeats. I've played with the power options and settings, but it doesn't stop the cycle, if anyone has any advice for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: it runs Windows 10 and was sold to me already operating on the system. I've run virus scans, attempted to update all my drivers, attempted to roll back my drivers and none of these has fixed it

Edited by failuretolaunch, 25 October 2016 - 11:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

I currently had an issue with Sleep Mode as well for my Asus ROG Laptop. Slightly different, no matter what I done with settings in Power Options, my laptop kept going to sleep and had to log in every time I returned to it.

The problem seems to be solved now and it looks like it had something to do with the USB Ports. I had my mouse and Cooling Pad connected next to each other on the USB. I moved my mouse to the other side and it seems it works correctly now. I don't know why it does that but you might give it a try.

#3 failuretolaunch

failuretolaunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

I cannot thank you enough, that fixed it!! just switched the USB from the left to the right side

#4 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

Glad it worked. And if you move it back now will it cause same error again ?

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

@failuretolaunch
", selecting sleep mode in the power options or closing the lid causes it to shut down completely, having to hit the power button to restart it."

Same issue here, and it corrupted my Windows10 and Windows7 partitions.
Tons of chkdsk at startup fixed things. For now.
This all happened since tthe large update, one after the anniversary update. Three times already.
I don't have a solution since don't have an explanation what's going on.

Edited by tos226, 25 October 2016 - 03:46 PM.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

@Thoth_Dhwty,

In case your solution stops working, here's a solution that worked for me when the computer was going to sleep and required login every minute or two - read post 669

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-10-anniversary-update.387581/page-27

#7 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

Noted. In case problem returns I will follow those steps, thanks.

#8 failuretolaunch

failuretolaunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

Sorry for the delay in posting, school and work seems to have gotten in the way, switching the USB ports back causes it to shut down when the lid is closed and moving it back didn't fix it this time, I'm going to try that link bleepIN-bleepOUT posted. I appreciate the help everyone.

#9 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:57 PM

Alright, let me know how it goes

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:18 PM

Sorry for the delay in posting, school and work seems to have gotten in the way, switching the USB ports back causes it to shut down when the lid is closed and moving it back didn't fix it this time, I'm going to try that link bleepIN-bleepOUT posted. I appreciate the help everyone.

I do not have a solution to YOUR problem. Reread my post #5.

The solution I posted was for computer going to sleep and needed login on every wakeup, a different issue from yours.

#11 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:04 AM

I wonder if this is an issue with ASUS ROG laptops or it's just a Windows issue o_o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users