Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to reinstate factory image into hdd partition as how it was shipped to me

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mabelle

mabelle

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

i bought a new dell laptop inspiron 15 5567. I was given by dell a USB supposedly containing a copy of factory image recovery in the event that i cannot load windows. However after i use the USB to test out if it works as i want to do a factory reset to make sure the USB works, it turned out dell gave me a usb that contain a window 10 recovery, which means it wiped out everything on my hdd and reinstall win 10. So my laptop has nothing in it except the OS. So after managing to get a copy of the USB factory image recovery created off dell website, i did a factory image recovery and voila, everything came back to how it arrived on day 1, EXCEPT the factory image in the windows environment is gone. I would like it to be in the HDD so that i can in future do a factory image recovery within windows. Pls advise how can i do that?

My other question is:

a) is it really true that performing a usb factory image recovery wont give us back a complete same laptop as how it was on day 1, why call it a factory image if it doesnt give me exactly how it looked like on day 1 (without the hdd partition containing image recovery)

B) is it true that not every laptop comes with a recovery partition , especially as popular as Dell, as the technician was claiming my laptop didnt come with an image recovery to begin with, hence why i didnt see the image recovery after i did the usb factory image recovery

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:15 AM

I don't know how you will be able to recover the factory reset partition once that is gone. As far as I know every OEM computer shipped today has a factory recovery partition but things may be different with Windows 10. 

For your first question regarding having a factory restore partition on the hard drive look at Aomei One Key. This will create a new partition on the drive and backup your system to this partition. Tapping a key at boot will allow you to do a restore to the backup last created. One Key has the option to update the image should you wish to do so. This would come in handy should you add programs and what to update the image with the added programs or you can keep the base image created just after installing Windows 10.

http://www.backup-utility.com/okr-free.html

#3 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

if dell can install factory image into hdd recovery partition, surely there is a way to reinstall the factory image back in?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

I don't know how because you would need to tie the key press to the factory reset image. Dell support may be able to help on doing this. Did the factory image recovery you did put a factory restore partition on the drive? You would see this factory restore partition in Disk Management. It would be at least 14GB in size.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

I don't know how because you would need to tie the key press to the factory reset image..

One would have to find from Dell tech pages a usb or dvd boot that contains the key press necessary.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

how do i attached image here? im trying to show u a sscreenshot of the disk management

#7 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

what is a key press? are we talking about keys like F12 boot menu

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

On Windows 10 the factory reset is done a little differently. It's accessed from the Troubleshoot menu. You can post an image by clicking More Reply Options and attaching the jpg file.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN297920#PBR

#9 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

i still cant see an option for me to attach a file, and pasting it says the site doesnt support the format

#10 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

im actually not concerned with how the factory reset steps are, i have done the factory reset via USB, its all done now but only thing that isnt complete is the factory image file in the HDD partition, its not there anymore, the question is, how do i put it in

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

I don't think it's possible. The only thing I can think of is to create a new partition then copy the contents from the Image file you found on Dells site but I doubt it would work as the option to do a factory reset looks for the factory reset partition located at a particular sector on the drive.

One way around this sector location would be to copy the contents of the USB factory image recovery created off dell website to the new partition and if windows fails to boot marking the partition as active using an install disk of Windows 10 may allow the factory reset partition to boot but it's kind of a kludge and I can't guarantee it will work.

I think  you need to contact Dell's support site or perhaps Dell's own forum's for this question. If you do find a way to reinstall please post back an update on the solution. Thank You.

#12 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:27 PM

Who would want to go back to Win10 the way it was 8-12 months ago anyway, then contend with the updates?

I'd think it better to just install from latest Win10 iso from USB....when/if a nuke and pave is required. (I nuked the restore partition intentionally from HP laptops for that reason)

If you leave boot order set to USB then HDD, one could simply insert USB flash drive when desiring to nuke and pave....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

Who would want to go back to Win10 the way it was 8-12 months ago anyway, then contend with the updates?

I'd think it better to just install from latest Win10 iso from USB....when/if a nuke and pave is required. (I nuked the restore partition intentionally from HP laptops for that reason)

If you leave boot order set to USB then HDD, one could simply insert USB flash drive when desiring to nuke and pave....

That's why I think if a person wanted to do a factory reset within Windows Aomei is a good option as it lets one update the recovery image.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 October 2016 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users