Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heard a popping noise and my computer froze.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ironclad95

Ironclad95

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

I was playing sims and I heard a popping noise come from my computer. The computer froze and thing was working. I immediately thought that it might be the battery so I pulled it out of the slot. I force shut down my laptop and turned it back on and everything was okay.

I checked the battery connectors and they didn't have any scorching on them.

I put the battery back in and it seems to be working fine. It's holding a charge and when I unplug the cord it remains on.

Computer: Asus model N76V
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
64bit Operating system
Running Windows 10

The battery is a replacement since the old one wouldn't hold a charge. I bought it on eBay from a high rated seller with thousands of positive reviews.

Please tell me what might have happened and what I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

At this point there is no way to tell. You may have had a capacitor explode, either in the power supply or the mainboard. Sometimes a cap will pop its case but still work for a time before it fails. Or not. Use your laptop normally, that is about all you can do at this point. If suddenly some problem emerges then post back and we can go from there. One thing you can do immediately is make an image backup of your operating system; right now you have no safety net if you have a major failure, You may lose everything. At least with a backup you can re-image your OS and data back on to a HDD and go from there.

If you are not acquainted with opening a laptop you could cause more problems by attempting to take it apart to examine it, and there is no guarantee that anything would be visually discernable anyway.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users