Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trojan infected a month ago, now: slow and not detecting wireless networks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fishcalled

fishcalled

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

About a month ago, Artemis virus infected my computer. Was able to get rid of it, but the computer has never been quite right since, mostly running very slowly, especially when many programs were open. A few days ago, the wireless internet became unreliable, it works for a minute or 2 and then is unable to detect any wireless networks at all, but if I plug in, it works, but slows down after some time.

The laptop is a ASUS X540L and it runs Windows 10. I have run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and McAffee anti-virus multiple times, and it doesn't detect anything.
Any help much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

In this kind of case you may be better off doing a Reset with the option to keep your files but you would need to reinstall all your programs. Another option is to do a clean install of Windows 10 after backing up your personal data. 

#3 fishcalled

fishcalled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

I already did the reset when I was trying to fix it a month ago. These new problems started happening after that.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:50 PM

You reset Windows after the virus infection and cleaning? It's possible this is a hardware issue. You can check your memory and disk with the UBCD. You will need to disable SecureBoot before booting. Burn the iso to disk by right clicking the file and selecting Burn Disk Image.

#5 fishcalled

fishcalled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

You reset Windows after the virus infection and cleaning? It's possible this is a hardware issue. You can check your memory and disk with the UBCD. You will need to disable SecureBoot before booting. Burn the iso to disk by right clicking the file and selecting Burn Disk Image.

yes, after the cleaning I did the reset. I also think it may be physical but I've only had this computer for a few months. Thanks for this link. But there is a lot of tools on there... Which ones should I run to check the memory and disk? Thank you,

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

I would RMA the computer if still under warranty. 

Under Memory use Memtest+86 and let it run for at least 6 passes, preferably overnight.

For the hard drive diagnostics select Parted Magic at the menu screen. Boot to the desktop and select Disk Health. Do both short and long tests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users