Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I dropped my laptop should I buy another?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 neo222

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

I dropped my laptop and the regular harddrive went dead but the sd drive is okay.I was able to abstract my info from the regular harddrive before it went completely down. The laptop runs hot right now. It seems to run hot all the time. The fan is running but its like it isn't doing any good. I can add a new harddrive but I am worried about the fan running like that.

I wonder if I should just buy another one. 

There is some other info about the current one it has an sd drive but it is small so I am thinking of adding another one. I have to add theregular haddrive back because when it dropped it was totally destroyed and the sd is not big only 120 gb. I also have to get a new battery because when it dropped it killed the battery and I can only use when plugged in.

When I add up the parts, the new harddrive, the battery, and the SD harddrive, and copy of Windows, My replacement parts are going to come to about 500.00. There is another laptop I am looking at that is similar to mine and it cost about 1000.00.

I don't know if I should just replace the parts and take my chance on the overheating thing or buy another laptop all together. Looking for advice on which is the best option for the money. My worry is if I replace all the parts the overheating issue gets worse and ends up blowing out the whole laptop and I lose money on the replacement parts.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

I have almost zero experience repairing dropped laptops.  That said...

Some questions come to mind...

1.  What were the circumstances of the drop?  How far did it fall?  What did it fall on?  It didn't damage the screen?

2.  The battery was working well before the drop?

3.  Have you opened up the computer to visually inspect the battery and insides?

4.  How old is the computer?  

5.  If this is a retail version of windows or OEM?  Can you get an restore image DVD from the maker for a reasonable price?

6.  Have you attempted to run a live bootable version of linux on the computer to test the rest of the system thoroughly?  

Myself, I would probably not put $500 into a computer that suffered enough of a shock to do that much damage.  It sounds like a good excuse to buy a new computer.  

If I could get it running cool and stable, I would turn it into a linux computer.  You could use it with a live bootable non-persistent linux distro for secure web browsing tasks.  Or use your small SSD and install linux onto that.  Or put your SSD into an enclosure and use it as an external drive.

#3 neo222

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

I am really worried about how it heats up. If I don't shut it down for a 30 minutes or long sometimes the way it is heating up the fan is on full blast and I have noting runn sometimes but a word doc and a open browser. I plan on keeping it because it functions still but I think it might be a wast also for the parts but I wanted another opinion.

Thank you for replying.

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2016 - 09:49 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,077 posts
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:59 PM

One possible reason for the overheating is that the shock of the drop ruptured the bond of the heatsink compound between the processor and the heatsink which leads to the fan. Often it is a 'heat pipe' in a laptop.

As I am sure you know, a thin smear of heatsink compound is essential between the processor and the heat pipe and, while this is applied as a thickish paste, it hardens with use to a solid. The difficulty of separating the heat pipe and the processor varies dramatically betweeen one laptop and another. Go to YouTube and enter your make and model + teardown into search to find videos on the process.

If you have already spent the $500 for parts this is worth investigating. Otherwise I go with the advice given above - walk away from this laptop and put the $500 towards a new one.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 techguruswaraj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:44 AM

You should take the laptop to the Computer Repairing guy. After dropping the sensitive gadget like Laptops, they may work absurdly. If you have the knowledge in changing the laptop parts, then you should check out the internals and then change them yourselves. 

If you are not, then you should purchase a new laptop. The laptops contains sensitive internals. Dropping them may damage the internals. If i was in your place, then i'd definitely replace the old one with the new one.

#6 gxnpt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:35 AM

In my general area (about 12 miles away) is a pawn shop with excellent deals on some electronics (tv,computer,tablet) as well as the expected items. Laptop - top of line about a year ago with I7 chip - under $200 or Kindle Fire HD 7 inch 16 gig $40 (about 4 months ago - the Kindle Fire I bought since my old Paperwhite got crunched).

So I always recommend checking the used market.

#7 RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,446 posts
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

Save up your money for a replacement new or used laptop; and purchase a usb external cooling fan assembly [one giant fan or twin fans].  The same place where you buy that replacement might test the damaged laptop components [including removable items].  You could use that damaged laptop is a Linux learning laptop.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users