Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I stop System Restore from inadvertently increasing the size to 100%?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, running on an INTEL Core i7-6700K self-built desktop workstation computer, with 16GB RAM and a SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1TB SSD as well as a BUFFALO DriveStation DDR 3TB USB 3.0 External drive.

When I back up my system for restoration in the event of system failiure, I use several methods to include System Restore, Windows Repair (AiO) Registry Backup, Acronis True Image 2017 and SpywareBlaster.

All these said methods work well in comparison, but for whatever reason, System Restore inadvertently increases the size to 100%, even though I personally set it to 5%.

So hence, my question is as follows;

Could any of these methods be causing this, and which of these methods are recommendable or not?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 25 October 2016 - 09:15 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

If you're saving several images, if the computer is running close to maximum allocated byte-space, I'm wondering which of the several programs is resetting the allocation to 100%  I'll be following this thread to learn right alongside of you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

Hi, RolandJS!

Thank you for the prompt reply! :)

Funny how upon having formulated the issue, and afterwards while grabbing some food, I started reasoning; Do any of these methods have anything in common, like i.e. sharing the same resources?

Yes, indeed, System Restore and Windows Repair (AiO) Registry Backup both use VSS (Volume Snapshot Service AKA Volume Shadow Copy Service).

And according to WR (AiO) RB's developer Shane and Microsoft, the VSS is a better method to backup the registry than the Fallback Method which was used in the past (i.e. in ERUNT), which I have used myself on my previous computer (MS Win XP Pro 32-bit).

This information is readily available under the Advanced Settings tab in WR (AiO) RB (press the Open Advanced Settings button at the bottom left).

WR (AiO) RB is the program which is resetting the allocation to 100%.

So, I guess it is safe to say;

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 27 October 2016 - 05:33 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users