Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 would start only to freeze within the next minute

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NorbertA

NorbertA

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

This is about the laptop PC of my wife, who is not aware that anything out of the ordinary had occured in the past. There has been a big and time consuming update of Windows 10 a few weeks agio, but we learned that this occured with other people as well and the PC had performed afterwards quite okay for some time.

The PC:

Lenovo ideapad 100-15IBY

purchased about 6 months ago

no extra hardware installed

Windows 10 home edition

automatic updates activated

virus protection by Windows Defender

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Premium version) installed

The PC is used mainly to communicate via facebook, organise, manipulate and display photos, do some office work (OpenOffice)

The Problem:

Startup and login is fine, maybe a little longer than before, but this may well be a misconception.

Then the response to any input gets pretty slow. Starting any app takes minutes. Occasionally there seems to be no response to mouse clicks at all. Especially when responding to some system generated prompts. You have to click a dozen times to close the box. This deterioration of performance occured overnight, however this PC has never been very fast in responding to input.

What I tried:

We did not create a 'Microsoft account' for my wife does not use any app where you would need such an account. Since the last update Cortana was running after startup, so we disabled it, that is, set all the options in Cortana's controls to 'no' or 'off'.

I did remove some faulty software that came with the PC as recommended by the manufacturer lenovo. 

I tried to identify resource consuming services using Task Manager, but could not identify such an item.

I ran a scan with Malwarebytes but no hazards were identified.

I started the PC while disconnected to the internet (by disabling the router) with the same result.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Norbert

Edited by NorbertA, 25 October 2016 - 09:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NorbertA

NorbertA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:41 PM

Problem seems solved. After the last Windows update the PC is doing fine. Hopefully this lasts.

No further action required.

Norbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users