Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Installing OS into my Upgraded System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CasperBoy

CasperBoy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:32 AM

Yesterday I bought a CPU built of Core I5 6400 2.70GHz processor, Gigabyte GA-H110M DDR4 motherboard, Corsair 8GB ram, and WD 2TB harddisk. I bought the harddisk from a different computer store today, so I couldn't get the Windows Setup from the stores.

So at home, not much other options left, I tried to install Windows XP from a CD that I had for some time now. After it booted up from DVD-Writer, if finished loading up the cd files and suddenly stopped by a blue screen error containing this error code 0x0000007B.

I searched on net for this error code, found out it could happen due to boot sector virus, or malfunctioned boot drive or lack of proper drivers.

I am seeking help due to this problem. Please Help. Thanks in Advance. :)

[ The CD I am using, is a genuine one and I've used it to install XP to my previous PC. I've tried connecting my old harddisk [which has Xp installed] to my new system, It still results in the same blue screen error. I know the XP is obsolete now, but I'm just trying it before taking it to the professionals. ]

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2016 - 11:19 AM.
Moved from System Building to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:13 AM

You received that error because XP does not have the necessary drivers for your SATA controller on the motherboard. You have a modern motherboard and it may have UEFI. Unless UEFI is disabled XP will not boot as XP 32bit cannot boot from a GPT disk which is required to boot from a UEFI motherboard.

Just looking at the specs of the motherboard it says it only supports Windows 7 and later OSs. I suggest you forget XP and wait to install Window 7.  if you want to test the build install a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu. If you plan on purchasing Windows 8 or Windows 10 you can use the Media Creation Tool Microsoft offers and a generic key until you purchase the license.

Edit: These keys will not activate but they will allow you to install the OS until you activate with a purchased key.

Windows 8 Media Creation Tool

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 October 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#3 CasperBoy

CasperBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:25 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I downloaded the Anniversary update of Windows 10, made my pendrive bootable and was able to give a clean install. :)

Thanks again for taking time to help me and save a few bucks from my pocket.... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users