Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Fix, IE Popup

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Clems

Clems

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611762/cant-turn-off-internet-explorer-11-pop-up/ - Hamluis.

I have the same issue but it doesn't appear to be related to the update. I'll post an answer to this problem as soon as I find one.

*** UPDATE ***
I've just found out it actually does appear to be an update issue. My fix is below.

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2016 - 05:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Clems

Clems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

Ok, so I've managed to fix this issue. I've only tested this on Win 7 and can't guarantee it will work for everyone but it's worked for me. Here's what to do:

1. Uninstall KB3148198 & KB3154070.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Open internet options via control panel.
  4. Use default settings for home page (it should go to MS settings).
  5. Reset EVERYTHING to default settings (restore advanced settings & reset) in the advanced tab (I also reset every other tab to default just in case). Don't forget to click apply and/or OK.
  6. Load up IE and you should still be presented with the options box but it should look slightly different. Select the recommended (or default) option, not the custom one.
  7. Manually download KB3148198 KB3154070 but make sure you grab either the x86 or x64 versions depending on your installed OS.
  8. Now change your default home page back to whatever you want and also add additional search providers if needed.
  9. Once everything is back how you want it to be, quit IE.
  10. Manually install KB3148198 that you just downloaded.
  11. Reboot.
  12. Manually install KB3154070 that you just downloaded.
  13. Reboot.
  14. Enjoy! Now when you start up IE, you no longer have the annoying pop-up box!

This worked for me, I hope it works for you too  :thumbup2:

Edited by Clems, 16 August 2016 - 11:08 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

If not...I would just reset IE to defaults.  Did you reboot after changing the IE settings?

The only time I've seen that or similar popups...is when I had just installed IE 11

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2016 - 05:55 AM.

#4 Clems

Clems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

If not...I would just rese IE to defaults.  Did you reboot after changing the IE settings?

The only time I've seen that or similar popups...is when I had just installed IE 11

Louis

No, I didn't reboot after resetting IE the first time but the next step was to manually install the update and then reboot.

Not sure if the uninstall/reinstall fixed the issue or just resetting everything but it worked.

Also a lot of people have been seeing this issue since the KB3148198 & KB3154070 update :)

Edited by Clems, 16 August 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

Pllease...this is not your topic.  Information posted is intended for the OP, as he tries to resolve his issues.

Louis

#6 Clems

Clems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:44 AM

Pllease...this is not your topic.  Information posted is intended for the OP, as he tries to resolve his issues.

Louis

Wow! Really? The whole point of this forum is to ask for help if you need it - what does it matter where the help comes from?

To be honest, if this issue had been answered properly in the first place instead of just sweeping it under the carpet and saying "your only recourse is to report it to Microsoft and hope they will fix it soon", I wouldn't have felt the need to help Bewley as clearly no one else was going to bother! It's funny how this thread has been quiet since 21st April with no real solution to the problem but as soon as I comment, you're all over it.

If My 27 years of technician experience isn't needed, lots of luck. I'm more than happy to go where my help is appreciated and I won't be told off for helping others!

Have a good day.

#7 MissKristyJC

MissKristyJC

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:48 AM

Clems, we have just started getting this error too but I can't find the K updates you mentioned to unstall? Would you know where to look?!?

#8 MissKristyJC

MissKristyJC

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:49 AM

Found! I'll see how I go with your above instructions 😢

#9 Clems

Clems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:57 AM

Found! I'll see how I go with your above instructions

Hopefully it will work for you. Let me know if you need help :)

#10 MissKristyJC

MissKristyJC

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

Nope 😔 I feel like it's easier to buy a new laptop hehe

#11 Clems

Clems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:10 AM

Nope I feel like it's easier to buy a new laptop hehe

Did you manage to follow the instructions ok and are you sure you downloaded the correct versions of the KB updates for your OS? (there are 32 and 64 bit versions).

Also, you must make the reset changes in internet options via the control panel (not IE), as this won't work and you must reset as much as you can to default settings once in internet options (IE can't be open, it must be closed for the settings to work).

If you did all of the above, I would try doing it again in safe mode in case anything on your system is interfering with the process. If this still doesn't work, try using firefox or chrome as there may be another KB update that is causing this that I'm not aware of.

#12 Timescope

Timescope

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

Nope I feel like it's easier to buy a new laptop hehe

A new laptop will probably come with Windows 10.

#13 MissKristyJC

MissKristyJC

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

Would that be better or worse?

#14 MissKristyJC

MissKristyJC

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

Not yet? Does it make a difference that I just found out it is Windows 7 still 🙄 I'm so computer illiterate !!!

#15 Clems

Clems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

Not yet? Does it make a difference that I just found out it is Windows 7 still I'm so computer illiterate !!!

Not yet to what (which question)?

It doesn't seem to make a difference which version of windows you use, this seems to be affecting win 7, 8.1 & 10 by the way :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users