Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is VGA chip problem fatal?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:33 AM

A computer repair tech recently told me the heat generated near the motherboard of my laptop suggested there will be a problem with the VGA chip.

He said the only solution is to get a new laptop.

I would like a second opinion on this.

Is it possible to replace the VGA chip and save the computer?

Suggestions appreciated.

Sony Vaio bought in 2011
500 GB dual boot with win 7 and Linux
6 GB RAM both OS's

Configured for gaming.
Nvidia G-Force graphics

Edited by Achaemenid, 25 October 2016 - 02:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:51 AM

Sony Vaio

What Model? nVidia had serious problems with laptop video chips, HP did a large recall over it, and issued BIOS updates to run fans harder to increase cooling. I don't know if Sony did anything. If actual damage to the video chip is not yet evident (flashing, dropouts/extreme pixelation...) it is possible for remediation to be done by a facility that has capacity to re-flow the soldering of a BGA chip, but this isn't always successful long term on a stressed chip.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:57 AM

You could probably replace the laptop motherboard - if you can find someone to supply the board (& by the sound of it you will also need someone to fit it for you). Or you could probably get the graphics chip replaced - if you can find someone who does board level repairs & who can get the part.

You would still have a 5 year old laptop with it's next failure waiting to happen.

Either way,unless you can do all the work yourself,the cost is likely to exceed the value of your laptop - & possibly even exceed the cost of replacing the laptop.

#4 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Sony Vaio

What Model? nVidia had serious problems with laptop video chips, HP did a large recall over it, and issued BIOS updates to run fans harder to increase cooling. I don't know if Sony did anything. If actual damage to the video chip is not yet evident (flashing, dropouts/extreme pixelation...) it is possible for remediation to be done by a facility that has capacity to re-flow the soldering of a BGA chip, but this isn't always successful long term on a stressed chip.

Thanks for responding.

VPCF1390X

None of the symptoms you mention are happening.

There is some quirkiness in the graphics like the scroll handles taking the image of other screens until I run the cursor over them.

My machine does run hot.

The chip is nVidia GeForce GT 425M

Edited by Achaemenid, 27 October 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#5 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

You could probably replace the laptop motherboard - if you can find someone to supply the board (& by the sound of it you will also need someone to fit it for you). Or you could probably get the graphics chip replaced - if you can find someone who does board level repairs & who can get the part.

You would still have a 5 year old laptop with it's next failure waiting to happen.

Either way,unless you can do all the work yourself,the cost is likely to exceed the value of your laptop - & possibly even exceed the cost of replacing the laptop.

Thanks also for responding

It sounds like I should not bother, rather let the machine die when it does.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

Have you updated your Nvidia driver. If you have Windows 7 64bit it should be updates. Check your version number.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/news-item.pl?news_id=464&mdl=VPCF1390X

#7 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:40 AM

Have you updated your Nvidia driver. If you have Windows 7 64bit it should be updates. Check your version number.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/news-item.pl?news_id=464&mdl=VPCF1390X

This notice is from 2013 and I did that update.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:48 AM

I can't say it will improve anything but Nvidia has an updated drive dated Oct 2016 for the 425M, If you do decide to install note the instructions on backing up your system configuration settings.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/109856

#9 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:17 AM

I can't say it will improve anything but Nvidia has an updated drive dated Oct 2016 for the 425M, If you do decide to install note the instructions on backing up your system configuration settings.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/109856

Thanks for this tip, but on the nVidia site, it recommends we get driver updates from the OEM site, because not doing that may result in malfunction.

There is nothing on the Sony site about any driver update in 2016.

In fact, I have found the graphics to be more quirky AFTER the last update, but I know so little about graphics that I have left it.

Edited by Achaemenid, 31 October 2016 - 08:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users