Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost or something else?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lobsterman72

Lobsterman72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:59 AM

My 'normal' computer I got from off the side of the road a year or two ago started slowing down 2.5ghz 3g mem, single processor, onboard video. When I got the computer, I 'acquired' a win 7 install from online, formatted, installed. Had worked fine as I said for a year or two. Had all the free stuff, malwarebytes, microsoft security essentials etc. Then slowly it started to slow down. Nothing ever came up on scans. So, instead of mucking around searching for viruses, malware, reinstalled the same OS agian. And still the same problem. Slow, the svchost.exe is always fighting for cpu and mem. So I acquired another PC, 'they' said there was something going wrong with it. This one is faster, 3ghz, 1g mem, dual processor and a decent onboard gfx, and has 2 HD's. Again, formatted and installed the win 7 I 'acquired', And again, the exact same problem, svchost went outta control, couldnt get updates. So I figure it's the OS I got, dunno why it worked for so long before. So for a final experiment I disconnect the 1st hard drive and try all this again on the secondary hard drive and it works 'better', there was a few things that were different during the install. I assume the other HD's were failing? And throughout this experiment, the svchost wasnt a problem till I started to get win updates. Upon reinstall it was nice and fast, after a few win updates it's slow again. Now when i try to play a facebook game or anything else it runs then coughs for a bit then runs but eventually it gets down n dirty fighting with svchost and stops responding.

Basically, should I throw money into memory and a new gfx card or just give up and get a newer up to date computer. I really dont do much intensive things with my computer. And theres no reason, with the hardware I have, I should be having a problem. I've seen it run great, but then it craps out.. Thanks for reading.. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:26 AM

Might be time to throw your "acquired" version of Windows in the bin mate.

Try Linux Mint. All the software you need and want is already installed when you install the OS. Browsers, photo editors, movie players, office software, you name it... It all updates with a single click and is instantly usable. You won't need anti-virus and things like svchost.exe don't exist. It will also run significantly better than Windows on your older equipment. The only thing you won't be able to do is install some games on it. Many will run, but the higher end games won't. The only really different thing you need to know that is different is your files are stored in /home/username, not \Users\Username. Other than that it's self explanatory, instantly recognisable and user friendly.

I spent years trying to convert my wife and kids to Linux to no avail. Then they tried Mint, swapped instantly and all my tech headaches at home are gone. I run old low powered PC's with it, they work just great too. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users