Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting A Computer Club At School

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 the_guy_99

the_guy_99

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:43 PM

Hello my name is Jacob and i am a senior in high school, i am new to this forum website, I am seeking advise on a computer group/Club i am starting up at school. So i have several people that would be interested but i don't know where to start. This would be the first say computer club ever at my school and I'm trying to start something fun and cool that will go on for years. I am seeking out advise on this website from anyone that can help with things such as topics i should be considering -Officers -Club -Goals -Events I need some much needed help with this and anything else that you think could help. Thanks, Jacob.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:26 AM

Are you looking for Gamers? or just a general,all interest Computer Club?Windows?Mac?Linux?What do you have in mind?

#3 the_guy_99

the_guy_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

General all intrest Computer Club would be either be more of a linux and windows 

Edited by the_guy_99, 25 October 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:59 AM

Moved to General Chat , to get more views.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

I would print up some flyers,and pass them out or post them in the school,set up a meeting place and time,to discuss the Club and it's purpose and goals with fellow students.That would be my first step. Also,word of mouth works very well! You have to let your fellow students know of your intentions! Good Luck!

#6 the_guy_99

the_guy_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

I have already done asked everyone and we are going to have a meeting this Thursday and i need some help brain storming any ideas on where to start because i have never done this before, like things we could do as a group, the schools computer guy is helping me too. But i need some help bringing some ideas to the meeting on thursday.

#7 the_guy_99

the_guy_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

I will have to figure out what goals we would like to achieve and the purpose of the club is to have fun and learn more about computer and get ads on experience 

Edited by the_guy_99, 25 October 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

PC building is a hands on way of learning about hardware in a computer.A must-in my opinion- for any PC enthusiast. Networking as well would be a good subject matter. Then there is computer security-antivirus,firewalls,and a host of other subjects that are relevant in today's tech world!

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:37 PM

You also have to consider how you are going to instruct. One on One is probably best, then small groups with either a common interest or a common problem, but each group needs a leader/tutor who is at least half a page in the manual ahead of the group. You do not want, I think, a group of 15 - 30 (?) sitting in front of one tutor - they might as well be in a Computing Science class !

Teaching/tutoring/instructing can be great fun and very rewarding, I've been doing it for years but it does require a bit of organising and willingness to learn yourself.

Go for it - enjoy.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:10 PM

You also have to consider how you are going to instruct. One on One is probably best, then small groups with either a common interest or a common problem, but each group needs a leader/tutor who is at least half a page in the manual ahead of the group. You do not want, I think, a group of 15 - 30 (?) sitting in front of one tutor - they might as well be in a Computing Science class !

Excellent Advice! 

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

You can always get a consensus from the group as to what would be the first 3-4 interesting topics they would want to start off with.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 the_guy_99

the_guy_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

Teaching/tutoring/instructing can be great fun and very rewarding, I've been doing it for years but it does require a bit of organising and willingness to learn yourself.

Go for it - enjoy.

Chris Cosgrove

Thank you for this great advise i currently have ten people so far that are interested and it might pick up once people see we start things up. I will use this great advice!

#13 the_guy_99

the_guy_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:37 PM

You can always get a consensus from the group as to what would be the first 3-4 interesting topics they would want to start off with.

Thank you i am going to make me a list from this, Thank you.

#14 the_guy_99

the_guy_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:43 PM

I think for first off i will get a desktop pc with all the components and make a powerpoint showing what all the components. This educating everyone if they didn't know already. Also giving them a hands on experience on how to correctly dismantle the computer and rebuild it. That will be most likely where i will start off with after i make some-Club Goals -Events

#15 the_guy_99

the_guy_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:26 PM

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions I'm open to them all, thanks Jacob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users