Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Info in Word and PDF files?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JennyFo

JennyFo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:15 PM

Hi all, I am new here and hope that someone can help me out with this. I am looking for ways to find hidden information in both Word and PDF files. These files did not originate on my computer. They were sent to me. I have a Mac operating Microsoft Word 11, and Adobe Acrobat Pro....for example

- original creation date (whenever I look in the Finder, the creation date is the date it was saved by me!)

- original author (or even originating IP address or any info on who, where, when the document was created)

- any other 'hidden' data, such as objects, additional spaces, white text etc.

Here is what I have tried so far...it might be all that there is, but thought I'd check with the expert community..

- Microsoft Word - properties, user information, track changes, opening document in TextEdit (apparently PC users have Document Inspector in their Word software, this would be great, but Mac doesn't have it)

- PDF - all info available under properties, had a play with "preflight", but don't really understand it

Essentially I am concerned that the documents have not been written by the person who says they wrote them, but I need to be able to find evidence of this. Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

Take a look here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Inspect-documents-for-hidden-data-and-personal-information-85951777-89dd-45dd-960a-fc979414e8fc

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 JennyFo

JennyFo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for the reply! But Mac word doesn't have the Doc Inspector :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

You may be able to pull the info using a live linux disk like Ubuntu. I was able to pull owner information and creation date on a pdf file by right clicking, selecting properties and looking under the Document tab.

As far as the Word Document. If it's a docx document then you can rename the extension from .docx to .zip. Open the zip file and open the xml files in the firefox browser by double clicking each. There may be XML files in each of the unzipped folders. One xml file to look for is called Core.xml. Libre Office, which is included in the live disk may be able to pull ownership data and creation date too.

You can probably do this using your MAC also. Rename your Word docx extension to .zip and open all the xml files you find in the unzipped file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users