Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it O.K. to run CryptoPrevent and Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware together?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

Since CryptoPrevent Premium Edition seems to mainly rely on group policy restrictions, would running it together with Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta cause conflicts, reducing your protection? I know you should never run two anti-viruses, firewalls, etc., but this seems to be an exception?

Thanks!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:15 PM

There shouldn't be any problems using them together...I use both myself.

CryptoPrevent is a security tool that writes 200+ group policy object rules into the registry in order to prevent executables in specific locations from running. CryptoPrevent can be used to lock down any Windows OS to prevent infection by crypto ransomware which encrypts personal files and then offers decryption for a paid ransom. CryptoPrevent artificially implants hundreds of group policy object rules into the registry in order to block executables (*.exe, *.com *.scr and *.pif) and fake file extension executables in certain locations (i.e. %AppData%, %LocalAppData%, %userprofile%, %programdata%, Recycle Bin, Startup Folder) from running. Due to the way that CryptoPrevent works, it protects against a wide variety of malware and ransomware. There are several levels of protection but most users only need to use the default setting - "Set it and forget it" protection.

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta uses advanced proactive technology that monitors all computer activity and identifies malicious actions which are typical of ransomware activity. Once it has determined a certain process to be ransomware, it blocks the the infection and quarantines the ransomware before it has a chance to encrypt any files. Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware is the evolution from Nathan Scott's CryptoMonitor.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is an action level security application (behavior based) that provides four layers of exploit protection to include protection against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, application hardening, and application behavior protection...meaning it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application, stop memory calls, sandbox escapes, and memory mitigation bypasses. MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. MBAE runs in the background as a standard Windows Service providing realtime protection against the malicious action of exploiting software vulnerabilities, blocks zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

Thank you very much, quietman7!

Have a great night.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif