Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet hub?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 busygal

busygal

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:41 PM

Ok i was told i should get an Internet hub to connect my incoming lan then connect my router and attach my devices to the ports. is that true.thye point is to keep a hacker from finding my info from my lan line.please help me sort this out RZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

"An Internet or network hub works well when you need the same information dispensed to every computer"

Unless you are trying to have "Lan Party" that will not work.

If you do it the way described, you would end up with essentially the same thing as you have now, except one more box is added.

If you are trying to keep your "info" safe you would need a VPN (Virtual Private Network).

and even then someone skilled enough could still find the info but would take a lot longer since a VPN eliminates personal data but not all identifying data. 

Hopefully that was informative and what you were looking for. or at least a start. 

Edited by Viper_Security, 24 October 2016 - 05:21 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

If you already have a router you should be good, provided you've changed the default password.  I've never heard of an Internet Hub.

No one on the Internet can see traffic on the LAN side of the router, without connecting to a device on the network.

Here are a couple of examples.

You download something from the Internet, others can see your router's WAN IP address (Your public IP address from your ISP) and possibly what you're downloading.

Once you have downloaded it and you copy it to another device on your LAN no one can see that without being on your LAN.

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

If you already have a router you should be good, provided you've changed the default password.  I've never heard of an Internet Hub.

No one on the Internet can see traffic on the LAN side of the router, without connecting to a device on the network.

Here are a couple of examples.

You download something from the Internet, others can see your router's WAN IP address (Your public IP address from your ISP) and possibly what you're downloading.

Once you have downloaded it and you copy it to another device on your LAN no one can see that without being on your LAN.

WAN = Wide Area Network

LAN= Local Area Network

--------------------------------------------

Thank you, couldn't have explained it better myself! 

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

Sorry, normally I spell out things out the first time I use them.  Thanks for making it clear what LAN and WAN mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users