Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD while gaming.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TThankie

TThankie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hey guys. I have been having alot of problems with bsods while gaming. Specifically Battlefield 1. No other game seems to crash but 15 minutes in and i get a bsod. It always seem to be a different one. Here are a few common ones: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL, KERNEL MODE TRAP. I appreciate any help.

· OS - windows 10
· 64bit purchased form amazon
· my hardware is about 4 years i believe 
· CPU 3770k
· Video Card 970
· MotherBoard - Msi m power 
· Power Supply - corsairhx 850

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hi, TThankie,

So it seems like you have two things happening here. Your system is having issues with it's USB controller or USB drivers

systeminfo32 shows this...

690LC    USB\VID_2433&PID_B200\CCVI_1.0    The drivers for this device are not installed.

If the bios is set to have high speed usb and the drivers aren't installed, well you're going to have problems. They need to be reinstalled or updated. The website for your motherboard doesn't show there is a USB3.0 driver.

Go to search and type devmgmt.msc (enter) Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right-click update. If that doesn't work, then choose update, but choose the option to install them yourself and see if there one in the list. It might be an older one, but this might get MSFT updates to then push a new update so you get the newer one. You could try downloading them using the website below for Win 7/8 and see if they work.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22775/USB-3-0-Renesas-Electronics-USB-3-0-Firmware-Updates

I saw your memory dump while gaming Battlefield Trial at the time of the BSOD. Video cards and USB can share IRQ. You have other BSOD's with Memory management. That can be due to the bios not being updated.

Your bios is... BIOS American Megatrends Inc. V17.5, 11/13/2012

Newer bios...2013-10-30 V17.12

Issues addressed:

- Support ATI 7970/7770 VGA card.
- Improved memory compatibility.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77_MPOWER.html#down-bios

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

You should first try and get the issues above fixed. If you still are having these problems, the next step would be to do a memstest86. Creating a bootable disk and running 2-3 passes to check the system memory. If the memory is bad you will see errors in red and information. Be sure to take note of that information identifying the culprit memory stick causing it.

Other things to consider...Check video card drivers, Check cpu and gpu temps, do not overclock cpu, do not run auto overclock utilities in the bios, do not overclock the graphics card. Overclocking generally over time will absolutely kill your computer. Other things that can cause stability problems is the PSU (power supply unit) failing. hard drive failing, Motherboard failing.

#4 TThankie

TThankie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:13 AM

Thanks for the reply i really appreciate it! So i updated my BIOS no problem however i cant seem to find a way to update the driver for 690LC.

In device manager it isnt under the usb tab rather it is under the "Other Devices".

Windows is unable to find a driver is essentially what happens.

After updating my BIOS Ive managed to play BF1 for about 2 hours with no crash which is the longest ive played so perhaps the bios update fixed it. 

Ill let you know if i get another BSOD. I just find it weird that it only happens in BF1. Thanks again man!

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

Well I suspected you had a couple issue going. Memory management issues caused by the bios and of course USB 3.0 drivers not installed. I looked everywhere for 690LC Windows 10 drivers and couldn't find any. I suggest you still look into that. You could get an after market USB 3.0 pci card. Anyways if you're happy i'm happy  :)  Good luck!

#6 TThankie

TThankie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:42 PM

So i managed to play Bf1 pretty much all night last night without issue however when i went to play this morning about 5 minutes in it hard freezes with no BSOD. This is happening in just about every game i try and play. No overclocks or anything so maybe my pc is just slowly dying. I attached another file to see if maybe you think its something else. Thanks again for your help!

Attached Files

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

Go here and download free speccy

After starting it let it gather information on your system. when it's done go to File and select publish a snapshot. It will generate a URL copy and paste that in your next post.

Edited by technonymous, 25 October 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

You should peform a memtest86 test of your memory.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

Install your USB drivers..https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/65855/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver

#10 TThankie

TThankie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:55 PM

I actually figured out that one of my ram sticks is bad. I tested them individually and one stick did fine while the other would crash as soon as i got to desktop. So im assuming that is the source of my problems. I tried installing those usb drivers but i get an error message saying that my system doesn't meet the min requirements. 

Heres the speccy incase you still need it but im pretty sure the ram was the issue. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YhhyB8PDG1ila4Xvi52m5st

Thank you for all of your help!

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:38 PM

Yes, everything was pointing to a bad memory. However, having a bios out of date with new memory code could of caused the problem. Most of the time it is the bios and chipset and other drivers. It sounds like this is nailed down. GSkill is good at replacing memory. Call them and see if you can get a RMA # that or they will send you a form/UPS sticker to send it to them. Good luck!

Edit: As far as the USB issue you really need to contact MSI and put the hammer down on them. They have that motherboard on their main website with ZERO Windows 10 usb drivers. That is unacceptable.

Edited by technonymous, 25 October 2016 - 08:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users