Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter problem on re-install

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Greetings:  My computer was operating with Windows 7 Pro upgraded from Windows Vista. For many troubling reasons, I decided to do a reinstall. I started with Vista and it was reinstalled and I attempted to access the internet to see if all was well before I went to stage 2 to install Windows 7 Pro and I was denied with the following; "The Network Adapter Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0 is experiencing driver or hardware related issues. Click here for information and then This Driver Cannot Start Code 10. After I got that message, I check my device manager to determine if the driver was installed at all and it was and upon checking that, it told me that I had the best device driver for the computer and it is up to date. So, right now I am stuck. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

Have you messed with the bios at all? The NIC may not be enabled in the bios. Try resetting the bios to defaults. Check the bios battery voltage in the bios that it's at 3+ volts.

Open cmd.exe as admin and try this command: netsh winsock reset Reboot the system.

Download the RTL8101 driver to usb move it to the system you're working on. Link Before installing go to device manager and uninstall the NIC and driver.

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for your reply. I couldn't find anything in the BIOs that referred to  the NIC,and the Battery and the bios is already set to defaults.  When I went into ntesch winsock reset, it told me that the requested operation required elevation. I uninstalled the NIC driver and am not able to replace it with the download from Realteck. When I try to do that and get the install wizard, I have two options one is Modiify which I couldn't do because I can't put a check ,,mark in the check box. The only option left is the Repair box which is already checked, so I went with that one which says it will reinstall all program features installed by the previous setup After the progress bar fills up, I get a pop-up which has  a white x in the center of a red backgroundand the pop-up says  Find File failed. That pop-jup also included  an OK box which I clicked on which took me to a message saying that the maintenance is complete and the wizard has completed the maintenance operations. on Realtek Ethernet Contr Drive. There is no evidence that the Realtek item was installed in the Device Manager but it did show up in the control panel. Right now that item is not on my computer. When the devices in the device manager were all present, including the Realtek item I started out with both that & the Standard VGA Graphics adapter had the yellow exclamation symbol along side. 

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

It sounds you are having a couple issue now with a missing video card driver. I need to determine what computer hardware you have.

Please Install speccy here

After install open it and let it gather information on your system. Next, go to file at the top of speccy and choose publish a snapshot. Copy and paste that url code in here in your topic forum.

#5 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:46 AM

I was able t o re-install Windows Vista, including the Realtek RTL8101 but accessing the internet is still a problem  I went back to the Realtek website and downloaded that to a USB device and tried to download it to the Realtek unit in the computer thinking that it could repair or make right the RTL8101 that is installed on the computer and I got the following pop-up. "Windows could not complete the extraction, the destination file could not be completed>" So, I am back to square one. By now, you must realize that I am communicating with you via another computer so, I don't know, since I can't access the Internet to get the speccy. Let me see what I can do. 

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:57 AM

What about a shot of the Devices in the Device Manager or of the items in the BIOS

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

Is your Vista 32bit or 64bit?

#8 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

32 bit 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

This could be a hardware problem but you can try the following. I split out the 32bit drivers from the zip file. You can download the attached zip file and extract to folder on your desktop. You will need to update the driver via Device Manager using this guide.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/193584-device-manager-install-driver.html

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 October 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#10 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:39 AM

That was one of the first things I did and all I get from that is that, is "Windows has determined that the software for your device is up to date."

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:46 AM

I think your only options at this point is to either rule out a hardware problem by booting a live linux disk like Fatdog or using a USB to Ethernet adapter.  

#12 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:19 PM

When I installed a new hard drive I used the same process that I am trying now so, I'm thinking that if I can do a wipe it might create the same scenario as a new hard drive and then I can go from there. 

#13 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

I went back and put the Vista disc back in and it went and now I have Vista installlled, but it's the wrong one. I installed Vista Home when I should have installed windows Vista business in order for me to upg rade to Windows 7 pro. So, now I have to find a way to get rid of Windows Vista Home so I can start over again.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

I responded to your other thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users