Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG antivirus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DukeIV

DukeIV

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

I downloaded AVG Ultimate and AVG Driver Update and their Hide My Ass program, but it has slowed down my computer horribly. I had a representative enter my computer virtually, and she worked and worked. Well after she worked for a 'LONG' time she signed the computer off, and it still does no better. I cannot use my google chrome; it continues taking to a yahoo search engine. I like google chrome. Does it not work with Google Chrome? I paid a lot of money for all three of these protection/virus/malware services. 
Does anyone have any solutions for me other than just getting AVG to refund my money and go with someone else + do you have any ideas on someone else to go with? I used to use Bull Guard, but it wasn't as satisfying as I'd like. There were times I'd still get pop-ups. Thanks to anyone who might have some ideas :-)

Edited by DukeIV, 24 October 2016 - 11:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

I find AVG not as useful as it use to be in the past. These days, it full of annoying ads and such (for the free one) and so far, it doesn't seem to catch the ransomware viruses at all (had a client that had it AVG FREE on their desktops and it didn't find anything wrong).

Personally I like Eset as it doesn't take alot of resources on your machine and it works pretty well. I would use it with another third party such as malwarebytes pro (with the real-time scanner) works well at least from testing it.

Also malwarebytes stopped a cryptolocker attack on a client machine which i was amazed by.

#3 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

Just use Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes.  You can activate the 1 month pro for free.  If you want to just use the free version run it once a week or so.  No need to pay for anything.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made the decision a few years ago to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. More recently (September 2015), it was reported that AVG privacy policy update allows it to sell your browsing history...meaning AVG allows the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data and sharing that data with affiliated partners, search providers and resellers.

There have been other reports of AVG exposing and collecting personal data.

There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems. There have been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and AVG PC TuneUp which purport to fix registry errors and various optimizing tweaks which make changes to system settings. Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons...read Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools.  The use of cleaning and tuneup utilities installs numerous files, folders and registry entries throughout the operating system making removal of the anti-virus software more difficult.

There have been complaints of AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar repeatedly being reinstalled after AVG updates itself even though users intentionally choose to remove them. And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

BTW, you may want to read...

If folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if they prefer not to use Windows 10 Defender.

For those who do not mind a paid for product, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program which includes more details why Windows Defender Antivirus with Exploit Guard designed protect against ransomware attacks is a very good choice.

Keep in mind that all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Windows 8/10 Defender.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users