Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows7 Backup & Restore on Windows 10 Showing "never backed up"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 helping hands

helping hands

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

Greets all,

I am looking for a little insight as to why when using Windows 7 Backup & Restore, on Windows 10, it's showing
that there are "never backed up" when in fact it has been running successfully, and when checking the target

drive and folders, there are file dates, and times, and appropriate fie sizes and changes as you would expect.

also, on that same system where I am experiencing that, the backups occasionally 'stop working' due to 

lack of space, isn't Windows 7 Backup  & Restore managing that space, and deleting the oldest backup in

order to be able to continue backing up?

thank you!

Edited by helping hands, 24 October 2016 - 11:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

It appears to me that when you use the Windows 7 Backup & Restore method, you are creating a system image backup which is different than selecting Backup Now.

When you create a system image backup, you should see a WindowsImageBackup folder on your external HDD.

If you leave the WindowsImageBackup folder as is, I believe it's overwritten (not deleted) each time a system image backup is created.

I say "as is" because some people rename the WindowsImageBackup folder which is another story.

--- Please let us know whether or not you are leaving that file name as is or renaming it.

On the "never backup up" message, if you are not clicking on Backup Now but are creating only system image backups, you will get that message. I haven't used the Windows 7 Backup & Restore method for quite a while, but I if I recall correctly when the "Backup Now" is clicked, you will end up with an additional folder on the external HDD. That additional folder will have an icon with your user name but I don't recall the title that goes with it but that's where the data is backed up.

--- See if you have that additional folder on your external HDD.

On the disk space usage, that needs further explanation based on what's going on.

Do you always leave your external HDD connected?

Are your system images created using a schedule or are you creating them manually?

#3 helping hands

helping hands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

It appears to me that when you use the Windows 7 Backup & Restore method, you are creating a system image backup which is different than selecting Backup Now.

When you create a system image backup, you should see a WindowsImageBackup folder on your external HDD.

If you leave the WindowsImageBackup folder as is, I believe it's overwritten (not deleted) each time a system image backup is created.

I say "as is" because some people rename the WindowsImageBackup folder which is another story.

--- Please let us know whether or not you are leaving that file name as is or renaming it.

On the "never backup up" message, if you are not clicking on Backup Now but are creating only system image backups, you will get that message. I haven't used the Windows 7 Backup & Restore method for quite a while, but I if I recall correctly when the "Backup Now" is clicked, you will end up with an additional folder on the external HDD. That additional folder will have an icon with your user name but I don't recall the title that goes with it but that's where the data is backed up.

--- See if you have that additional folder on your external HDD.

On the disk space usage, that needs further explanation based on what's going on.

Do you always leave your external HDD connected?

Are your system images created using a schedule or are you creating them manually?

Thanks for the feedback.

'backup now' has never been used, and with your explanation, it would make sense in that case.

it is creating a system image, on schedule, which is daily, and the folder is 'by default'.

I was under the impression, it was being backed up as a system image, and the changes, were

being updated to that image, not that it would be deleted an recreated.

The EXT HDD is always connected.

Also, "file history" is being used, to that same EXT HDD

That same EXT HDD, is also shared on the Network, and there is a shared folder on there

for another user, who also has Windows 10, Using Windows 7 Backup and Restore, which

is backing up into that folder.

I'll need to check on that computer, and see how it "appears" to be running for comparison.

Thanks again, let me know if you have any other thoughts

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Since you also use the File History method you can also create system images within that procedure, again if memory serves me correctly, the selection to create a system image is down in the lower left corner. In that case you would you wouldn't need to use the

Windows 7 Backup & Restore method. Either way It looks like you are doing fine.

So now the issue to attend to is space usage. Check the space taken up from you and also by the other person: track the space usage for a few days and see what's going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users