Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Toolbar Keeps Disappering

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:22 AM

Howdy, ( topic should read disappeared)

I have had the Yahoo Tool Bar on my computer for about a year. This morning it was gone. I went to the Yahoo home page and down loaded the newest version.

It down loaded with no problems and I used it for a couple of searches and it worked fine.

I left the computer to get a cup of coffee and when I came back I noticed it to has disappeared.

Any ideas ?? Should I try down loading it again ?? Is there some place on my computer where I can look for it ??

This is SPOOKY ! :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Dennis :flowers:

(Moderator edit: corrected spelling.jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 23 August 2006 - 10:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

Wow! Malware that actually does something good! (just being a bit sarcastic here!)

Right click on an empty area of your task bar and then select "Toolbars". Does the Yahoo toolbar show up in the list? If it doesn't have a checkmark by it - click it to make it checked. That should restore the toolbar.

BUT, this doesn't address why it's happening. The toolbar may vanish again, so keep an eye on it and let us know what's happening.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried what you suggested. When I clicked on Tool Bar it made no mention of Yahoo or the Google Tool Bar which I also have.

I down loaded Yahoo Tool Bar again just to see what would happen. A screen came up telling me that I already had the Yahoo Tool Bar installed. It then asked me if I wanted to continue down loading, I clicked yes.

I now have the tool bar at the top of my screen and I suppose I have another hidden somewhere in my computer.

I gather you are not a big fan of the Yahoo Tool Bar.

Any particular reason/reasons ??

Thanks,
Dennis :thumbsup:

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

Your Computer might be having some visitors that just do not want you to see the Yahoo or Google toolbars. Let's find out and just follow the instructions below and soon you may be Yahooing or Googling.

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for the reply ThorXP,

So far so good since I down loaded it again yesterday. I ran Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Ewido, Windows Defender and Norton Security 2006 in safe mode yesterday and the only things that were detected were two tracking cookies.

I thought I would give it another day and see what happens. If it disappears again I will post a HijackThis log.

Thanks Again,
Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 24 August 2006 - 05:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users