Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Need Quicktime In My Start Up Registry ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:24 AM

Howdy,

I recently downloaded QuickTime in order to view a couple of videos that required QuickTime.

The QuickTime icon is showing in my desktop so I checked to see if it launched at start up and it does. Is it necessary that it stays this way or can I disable it ??

If I do disable it from the start up, will the program still work if I need it while surfing the web ?

(Windows XP Home, SP2, IE)

Thanks for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 23 August 2006 - 04:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:48 AM

It is your option. Any program that you tell not to start up when you start your computer will still be on your computer and ready to run when you tell it to.

You need to understand the mentality of programmers. They think "My piece of software is the MOST IMPORTANT piece of software in the history of software, therefore it must automatically start on every computer it is installed on. Who wouldn't want it to???"

Seriously, that is how they think.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Albert.

I will get it off the start up right now.

I understand what you mean about their thinking.

Thanks Again,

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the reply Albert.

U B wlecome!

Most people don't clean up the list of programs that start, and then wonder why their computer won't do what they bought it for in the first place. All of these programs are autostarting and eating up the resources of the computer. Not to mention the computer taking longer to startup than it should.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

totally agree with you albert, all you need to start with your computer is your av and firewall, unless you like tapping your fingers impatiently on the desk waiting for you computer to startup!

wish some programmers would spend more time checking their software rather than adding startup entries and making the disable option as obscure and hard to find as possible!

regards

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:40 AM

Start > Run

type "msconfig" (without the quotes) Click OK

Click on the Startup tab. Here you will find a list of programs that start when you boot your computer. Uncheck any you don't want to start when you boot up. (You still will be able to start programs through their shortcuts or by going to Start > All Programs. Unchecked programs just won't start automatically at bootup and won't be running in the background.)

You can Google entries or use the Bleeping Computer Startup Database HERE to research the various startup entries, as sometimes they can be a bit cryptic.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:52 AM

Thanks Albert,

I clicked on my control panel yesterday and there was an icon called Windows Explorer. I clicked on it and apparently it is part of Windows Defender. A screen came up that showed the programs that were being launched at start up.

Programs such as QuickTime (which I disabled), Sonic Solutions, HP, etc.... all in all there were about 15 different ones. Most were confusing so I left them alone.

I will follow your instructions ,as I figured there has to be many more that are not necessary ????

Thanks Again,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users