Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 q28

q28

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:10 AM

i bought a maxtor 80 gb, i just want to use it as secondary drive.. but i don't know how to install it on my MOBO. im running XP pro. tnx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:13 AM

I am assuming you are using a EIDE drive since you did not state other wise. On the side of your drive should be a diagram of how to set the jumpers on the end of the drive near your data cable plug.
Configure your drive to SLAVE. Locate your current primary hard drive. There will be a flat cable coming from the motherboard to that drive with an unused plug on it. On that cable there will be a red soild or dotted stripe on one edge. When you plug the drive in the red stripe should be nearest the 4 pin power plug next to the EIDE data plug. Insert the cable plug using care not to bend the pins. Make sure your drive is firmly attach in a drive bay and the cables are plugged in, both power and data.
That should do it.

Edited by acklan, 23 August 2006 - 07:17 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users