Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Performing A System Recovery (any Other Way?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 derekhhh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:24 AM

To put it plainly, I need to do a System Recovery to restore my system back to its factory settings. When I hit F10 upon startup in order to access the system recovery, nothing happens- it boots as it would regularly. I tried to boot up using the CD, and am now in the System Recovery console. Might anyone tell me what I need to do to perform a non-destructive, or even a destructive system recovery? Can this be done using the System Recovery Console? Or is there any other way besides hitting F10 while booting up? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:00 AM

Assuming that you see the instruction on your screen to hit the F10 button for system recovery, hit the button about once a second while the computer boots - continue pressing the button. This should get you into the system recovery area. Usually the first option for recovery is the non destructive type, go into 'advanced' options in order to do a destructive type of recovery.

The recovery console that you booted to using the disk is NOT what you want. That is simply a tool that can be used to make a few repairs to Windows, if you know the commands.

If my advice does not work, please tell us what make and model computer you are asking about. That would help a great deal.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 23 August 2006 - 08:01 AM.

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 derekhhh

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. That method did not work, unfortunately. My problem is, I had trouble booting up my Windows XP Home OS, and didn'y have the cd. SO I borrowed a WinXP Pro cd and installed it. This led to a lot of problems, and the internet wasn't working because I couldn't set up an IP address. I finally found the winxp home edition cd, and reinstalled it. BUt I seem to have the same problems now.

My Computer:
AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+
2.08 GHz
448 MB of RAM

Graphics Driver: Nvidia Geforce MX
(although when I look up the graphics driver now, it says I don't have one at all)

#4 rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:55 PM

you're probably best to completely wipe your hd to ensure no trace of xp pro is left, use something like 'dbans boot n nuke' (available from sourceforge.net). then reinstall your xp home on a freshly sanitised hd.

you may also have to acquire drivers for your network card to enable internet access, and also drivers for your graphics card, check their respective sites if you dont have a disk including them.

good luck

#5 ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

Borrowing a Windows XP Pro install cd is not exactly the correct thing to do, I suppose you tried using the key code for XP Home on it? This is not going to work correctly and this means that Microsoft will not give out a lot of the updates because your OS is illegal.

Since this installation is illegal it should not go on from here, I would suggest the following:

You should contact Microsoft as follows:

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users